Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Safe Humidity Levels for extended storage >

Safe Humidity Levels for extended storage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Safe Humidity Levels for extended storage

Old 11-20-2003, 10:31 PM

Default Safe Humidity Levels for extended storage

I am getting a safe in the near future and am trying to determine where I want to put it in my house. It' s not a big one, only about 300 lbs. which isn' t a factor in where it will go. The question I have is about what is a safe humidity level to maintain. My basement is probably the best place, but tends to be a little humid. Currently it' s at about 55% and the dehumidifier runs pretty much all the time to maintail that level. Regardless if I put the safe down there I am going to purchase another dehumidifer so as to be able to keep more stuff down there. If I can maintain 55% humidity is this an acceptable level to store guns in a safe for an extended period of time? What would be the max. level you would feel comfortable storing your guns at?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:30 PM

Default RE: Safe Humidity Levels for extended storage

What' s your definition of " extended period of time" . How often will you be getting them out, and wiping them down or oiling them?

If what you' re talking about is leaving them in the safe for over a year, without taking them out and taking care of them, I' d want 0 humidity level. It does not take long for moisture to rust carbon steel.

If 55% is the lowest you can get it, I would want to take my guns out at least once a month to clean them. Either that, or get silicone impregnated socks for them and store them in those.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

kbstern, No matter where you decide to put your safe (within reason of course) if you buy a Golden rod and burn a low wattage light blub you won' t have a moisture problem in your safe.Mine is in my garage. Temperatures fluctuate along with the Florida humidity. Knock on wood I have never had the slightest bit of rust in the 15 years I' ve lived in this location.For an added precaution I bought some of the Celotex insulation board ( foil covered). I built a wooden frame around my safe and and put the Celotex board on it.Keeping the board close to the safe' s exterior.It keeps my safe from fast temperature changes from the ambient temperature changing.In summer if it gets to warm I simply unplug my low wattage light bulb.Before putting any gun back in it' s wiped down with a sheep skin impregnated with RIG.One other thought. For safety and security reasons make sure you bolt your safe down.The heated rod and low wattage light bulb are allot cheaper then running a dehumidifer or two.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-21-2003, 03:22 PM
bigcountry

less than 45% is ideal. But hard to maintain that in the East in the summer. 0% will make your wood warp and would be impossible to achieve outside a lab. I keep a litte humidity guauge in my safe.

Old 11-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve had a safe in my basement for about 11 years with a de-humidifier rod and I have' nt had any trouble what so ever, No rust at all on any of my guns, I used to take them all out and check them periodically, but now when I get done with one I clean and put it in there and forget about it, some of them had' nt been oiled or cleaned in several months, and some I don' t use any longer have' nt been re-oiled in years. The Golden Rod is the way to go.

Also KB, since you have' nt bought your safe yet most of the gunsafe dealers will throw in a Golden Rod de-humidifier rod if you work it just right.