Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 humidity effects on powder >

humidity effects on powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

humidity effects on powder

Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default humidity effects on powder

The season opens here in Ohio Dec. 27-30th. I've recently changed over to loose triple 7 from pyrodex pellets. The weather is calling for rainy humid conditions the first 2 days. I have hunted under those conditions using the pyrodex pellets and gun never failed to go off. My question is does loose triple7 hold up good in wet,humid conditions. Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: humidity effects on powder

It should do fine, If it gets too wetI would dump the load at the end of the day and start fresh for the next hunt... you can never be too safe when Mr. big steps out!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 AM

The 777 will do great just remember to put a finger cot or tape over the end of barrle

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

biscuit eater

I believe that T7 is a little more resistant to humidity than the Pyro's - so you really should be alright. Make sure you do your things to protect the load.

I hunted northern Idaho in the rain and the snow, in fact I had the load in for 15 days and on the 17th when it came time to go off - it when boom just fine for a 176 yards...

Take care of your powder...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is better than the other subs except Pyrodex. Lee
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have never used pellets and have hunted wet and snowy NY conditions during the general gun thru the BP seson w/ 777 and pyrodex RS Never had a problem. I use cut offs from a rubber glove. I use the blue ones from harbor freight and keep quite a few cause when you pull the rifle from the case the roll of sometimes.
LOL, Steve
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: biscuit eater

The season opens here in Ohio Dec. 27-30th. I've recently changed over to loose triple 7 from pyrodex pellets. The weather is calling for rainy humid conditions the first 2 days. I have hunted under those conditions using the pyrodex pellets and gun never failed to go off. My question is does loose triple7 hold up good in wet,humid conditions. Thanks
I hunted Central Ohio today and the weather/environment was like a big, wet, cold sponge[:'(] My Savage got a incidental mud bath (muzzle was taped, thankfully). At the end of the day I heard more than one "crack--BOOM". Bad day for muzzies. Guy at the check station said they only checked in 10-12 deer for the whole day!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Whats a check station? Not a canned hunt is it?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Spike

Ohio hunters are required to check their deer in, as ALL states should.

I live just north of them in Michigan and our DNR lies and fudges numbers all the time when it comes to the states population of deer and deer harvested.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:49 PM

check their deer in? Thats silly. In colorado, If you hunt in an area thats marked as CWD, You can take it to the DOW and have them check the head for the disease for $5 and if it comes back positive, they reissue a new tag. Does ohio require this check in so they can count the #'s of deer taken each year?

Quick Reply: humidity effects on powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.