Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Room for Reloading and humidity ?.. >

Room for Reloading and humidity ?..

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Room for Reloading and humidity ?..

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Room for Reloading and humidity ?..

Ok,Have any of you built a reloading room in the basement of your house...........??????
This is what Iam dealing with,I have a area in my basement thats unfinishd,I am going to put up two walls and the other two are block walls,the room will be 11 1/2ft x 17ft with cement floor.It will be my room for all my hunting equiptment,guns,bows,ammo and reloading.Wife wants her room back upstairs.....Anyway I plan on sealing the block walls with sealer and insulate the ones Iam putting up,for heat I have a 10ft baseboard if needed...Now would it be a smart move to put a dehumidifier in this room due to the block walls or will sealing them be good enough to keep the Humidity low.
I know Powder needs to be in a cool and dry place,the cool isnt the problem its the humidity Iam worried about........Or am I beating a dead horse with this question.....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Room for Reloading and humidity ?..

Your guns need to be where it's dry!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:32 AM

Humidity is a problem with your reloading equipment too, even keeping them well oiled and clean , humidity will effect them . Basements are , as you have said are notoriously higher in humidity . Of course where you live will be a factor . Get a portable dehumidifier , you can get them just about any where (Sears ,Home Depot ,etc.) They all should have a fitting on the holding tank you can put a hose to continuously drain the holding tank and run it (the drain hose ) to a floor drain , other wise you will be emptying that tank a lot . The dehumidifier will ( or should ) shut down if the tank is full.If you don't have a floor drain handy , there are condensate drain pumps that can be set up to pump it to a sink or other drain that is above the holding tank using 3/8 hose . The pump should be also available at the above mentioned stores , if not a plumbing supply or heating ,air conditioning supplier will have them and they are relatively inexpensive.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have a small de-humidifier that only holds a quart or so. During the summer when I was running my swap cooler, I would need to empty about once a week. Since I stopped using the cooler, I might have to once a month depending on the amount of rain we got.

I would get the de-humidifier now and start using it right away. It might help dry out the brick walls before you coat them too.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Ok,Have any of you built a reloading room in the basement of your house...........??????
This is what Iam dealing with,I have a area in my basement thats unfinishd,I am going to put up two walls and the other two are block walls,the room will be 11 1/2ft x 17ft with cement floor.It will be my room for all my hunting equiptment,guns,bows,ammo and reloading.Wife wants her room back upstairs.....Anyway I plan on sealing the block walls with sealer and insulate the ones Iam putting up,for heat I have a 10ft baseboard if needed...Now would it be a smart move to put a dehumidifier in this room due to the block walls or will sealing them be good enough to keep the Humidity low.
I know Powder needs to be in a cool and dry place,the cool isnt the problem its the humidity Iam worried about........Or am I beating a dead horse with this question.....
No, you sure ain't beating a dead horse! Seal the cement floor as well as the walls with that sealer you plan to use on the walls. Then, IF your ceiling is high enough, consider putting down some floor joists of treated lumber on your cement floor, and putting a wood floor then carpetingon top of the joists-this would get your reloadingstuff a little further away from the moisture on the floor.Keep your powder and primers in a wall locker that has one of those electric dehumidifier rods in it, (such as people use in their gun safes) and also spray your steel tools and dies with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH , same as you use to keep your guns from rusting. I find this works for me in my garage, which is very humid during wet weather. I use that SHEATH stuff on all my steel tools, and the only rust I ever had was on items I forgot to spray it on!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Thats exactly where my reloading room is. It was 70% humidity. It was only like 10ft by 6ft. I had to buy a used dehumidifier, and now keep it below 45% humidity. Dies and stuff rust pretty easily.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My room is also in the basement. I was getting some surface rust on stuff during the summer in particular until I got a dehumidifier. They do work, and I highly recommend getting one or you will most certainly sooner or later find some rust on your equipment. Mine has the condensation tank and I empty it every couple of days in the summer. Hardly ever empty it in the winter due to the drier air. Do yourself a favor..........
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my reloading stuff in the basement (unfinished) for 11 years and had no signs of rust. No dehumidifier either. I keep the powder sealed up tight and have no problems with it either. I still have a can of IMR4895 that I inherited in 1997 that shoots fine. The price tag is still on the powder and it was $3.25. That might tell you how old it is .

Maybe I'm lucky tobe in low humidity area. I'm in NE Penna and the elevation is 2400'.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My house is right on a lake....pic below......Iam talking Bass fishing of my upper deck also the north side is a 80 acre swamp 55 ft from my lower garage door,right now its pretty dry down there,my basement is differant it only has 7ft celling......
I can run a hose to a floor drain thats right out side the room nxt to the furnace....I will just put a small hole in the wall.....
3/4 of the basement was storage the other 26x16 is a bar/sports room,stroage isi.e...atvs,streetrod,harley's,genarator,power washer,bikes you get the pic.So it really hasnt been preped.....
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This pic is from last spring,I lost the lower deck due to Ice pushing upand had to redo the rip rap and painted the upper deck,the lower used to be hand layed z-block...

Quick Reply: Room for Reloading and humidity ?..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.