Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Robar's NP3 finish on a gun??? >

Robar's NP3 finish on a gun???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Robar's NP3 finish on a gun???

Old 02-03-2002, 05:24 PM

Default Robar's NP3 finish on a gun???

I just checked out Robar's web site and read about NP3. They claim its much better than hard chroming. Any opinions or experience with NP3? I'm looking to get my Colt .38 finished but I don't know yet what finish to get.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:44 PM

Default RE: Robar's NP3 finish on a gun???

NP3 has an excellent rep, and I've seen one firearm so finished....sort of a hard electroless nickel, embedded with teflon. Excellent!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:35 PM

Mark, yes I just got off the phone with the Robar people in AZ. They do both NP3 which is exactly what you described. They also do standard electroless nickel finishing also.

I asked them which one of the two finished is better and they said, "NP3" lasts much longer and is more durable.

The sad thing is is that the cost of the gun for an NP3 job is $240.00bucks. That does not cover the cost to send the gun back to your house, which you the customer pays shipping both ways. With UPS, that's $50.00 both ways. So, I'm looking at a $340.00 plating job.

I think now I'll pass on that deal. I'll just get the gun out and wipe it down with an oily rag more often.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't blame you there HK45USP.That's allot of money for a Plating job. For a few dollars more you could buy a new Stainless snubbie.I think the S/S would be allot more durable then plating. Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-04-2002, 10:48 PM

I believe Robar also does a finish referred to as Polymax, a dark matte polymer coating...impervious to corrosion, but no where near as pretty as NP3.

I'd also search for Checkmate gun refinishing, I believe they are based in Florida...a review on a Beretta 92 finished in hard Chrome a few years back showed the hardness of the finish near 72 Rockwell. The gunwriter claims to have dropped his pistol on concrete accidentally, allegedly leaving no marks on the finish.