Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

U-finish?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default U-finish?

I'm thinking of embarking on the quest of "building" my first bow. I was thinking of a U-finish just to test the water. I'm thinking about the floor tillered shortbow but I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "floor tillered". I want to use this bow for targets, and possibly fishing so i'll pobably shoot for 40# @ 26". I'm not going to back it unless i have to because it's my first attempt and I want it to go nice and smooth. If I don't back it there's less to go wrong.

Does anybody know anything about the Bowstick U-finish floor tillered shotrbow? Anyonetry it?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: U-finish?

Floor tillered means the limbs are very stiff still but not been tillered to bend equally and evenly. Its the start of the tiller. I see some say floor tillered is when it feels like each limb is about the same poundage or bend but still very heavy or a rough tiller. Its also the point where you get the limbs used to bending.

At this point, I would put on a tiller tree and only use cabinet scrapers or maybe a nicholson #50 rasp.And exercise those limbs before pulling to your draw. And never pull past the poundage you intend on shooting.