Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Feedback PLease! >

Feedback PLease!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Feedback PLease!

Old 10-29-2003, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feedback PLease!

I just had two deals to fall through one on a Remington Classic 25.06 and the other on a Ruger#1B 25.06. I have a Remington Sendero 25.06 but it' s just to heavy for my type of hunting and although i' m a big Remington fan and love their rifles the only thing they are making now chambered in 25.06 is the BDL which is the only model they make that i don' t like. I could find a mountain rifle but i don' t like the 22" thin barrel for the 25.06 caliber. I' ve looked at Winchester and Ruger but don' t like the safety on those so i' ve decided to take a hard look at the Sako 75 hunter. I' ve never owned a Sako and don' t know much about them other than what i' ve read and no one around here has one or stocks them but i can order it from a local gun shop. For those of you that have a Sako i need some feedback. I handload so i would be working up a load for this rifle but would you recommend i have the action bedded and the barrel floated before i start? How do they shoot out of the box? I see on the website that the trigger is adjustable from 2-4lbs which is nice bonus also. The gun is running about $850 here is that a fair price or should i go elsewhere?

On another note, if i wanted to build a rifle how would i go about getting a Remington 700 action, do i have to go through a gunsmith or a licensed FFL person? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any and all replys. Mike
Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Feedback PLease!

It is really tough to beat the Sako. It' s a very fine firearm with a long, steady history.

But, one gun you might find better, is the Tikka. And the only reason I say this is, price. Sako manufactures it, Beretta imports it. And you can get one ranging from $450.00 - $700.00 depending on where you get it, and which model you get. The whitetail hunter version in stainless/laminated stock version cost me $599.00. They have the T-3 also that is very nice and costs a tad less than the WH. These guns don' t leave the factory unless they can shoot 1" or less groups at 100 yards. And the action is a smooth as snot on a handrail.

By the way, the Tikka (and probably the Sako) are already bedded and freefloated, and they have the same adjustable trigger as the Sako.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:04 PM

Mykey
Well folks have their likes and dislikes for a lot of different reason but I must say you' re the first person i' ve ever heard say they don' t like the Win or Ruger because of the safety. That (modified) Mauser style safety is probably the safest and most useful safety design ever made. Winchester has used it on the 70 since inseption and Ruger redesigned the 77 with that safety as the Mk2. Personally I think the poorest design safety is that which the Remington has - allowing the bolt to open when the safety is on. I can' t remember the number of horror stories I' ve heard of the bolt coming open or partially open while the rifle was being carried or slung and resulting in a missed shot. IMHO. gg.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

D45, I' ll have to take a look at the Tikka before i make my decision. I can get the T3 Hunter here for about $500 which is very appealing. I had no ideal they were already bedded with the barrel floated (Tikka or Sako) but that would sure be nice along with the adjustable trigger. What is the difference between these two guns other than looks and price?

Goodguy, you' re right in that every one has their likes and dislikes i guess thats why there are so many different guns out there for us to choose from . I' ve had Remington rifles all my life and have never had one single failure in any way what so ever. However all my Remington' s are 10 years and older and i will say that Remington has really lost an edge lately when it comes to quality imo. If i were shopping for a Remington today it would be an older model for sure. I think Ruger and Win make a nice looking rifle no doubt and i have friends who have both but they just aren' t for me.

Thank you both for your replys!
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Mykey,
Take a look at the Browning a-Bolt II. The newest ones have 24" barrels in 25-06. My best friend has had one about three years and loves it. He gets honest .5 inch groups and the fit and finish are very good. I have one in 270 that shoots lights out with 140 gr Bt handloads. With the newst A-Bolts in 25-06 having 24" inch barrels I think that you will be pleased plus save enough money to put it towards a quality scope such as Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold Vari-X III, or Zeiss Conquest.