Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 looking for feedback >

looking for feedback

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking for feedback

Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default looking for feedback

on tradition yukon .50cal. anybody use one, seen one, know of someone who has used one? Are they any good, piece of junk, or what? i'm thinking of buying my grandson a muzzleloader for his birthday and I don't have a whole lot of cash to spare right now, so I'm kinda on a budget. i;m still just looking around.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: looking for feedback

I don't own one...

I did go to Bass Pro Shop that sells them and read the reviews on the rifle. Those that were on the review page were very favorable on the rifle. They talked about easy to clean, and good accuracy. Like any rifle, most of them will shoot out to 100 yards pretty good. Once you find the right load, it is then a matter of practice and how good a shooter you are.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: powderburns

on tradition yukon .50cal. anybody use one, seen one, know of someone who has used one? Are they any good, piece of junk, or what? i'm thinking of buying my grandson a muzzleloader for his birthday and I don't have a whole lot of cash to spare right now, so I'm kinda on a budget. i;m still just looking around.

I think I'd be worth your while to check the CVA Wolf and the NEF out. I don't own a Traditions or a NEF but my Wolf shoots great, easy to clean, and likes most sabots and powder charges I've tried.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the yukon combo pack last summer to start hunting with a muzzleloader. I went to the range and made one ragged hole with six shots out of ten at 50 yards. The others not in the hole were the first shot and a few others. I settled on 100 grains of Pyro RS and a 240g xtp that came in the combo pack. I also tried t/c cheap shots which shot equally well. These combos are plenty accurate at 100 yards and my shots are always less than 100 and closer to 75 yards. First morning of VA's ml'er season, a spike came in and I let him come to 30 yards before dropping the hammer. He went 20 yards and piled up.

Cleaning is a breeze, with the action dropped the breach plug comes straight out. Barrel is secured to the stock via two screws.

One complaint was the front sight, the fiber optic piece slides into a metal groove. It also slides out, where exactly that happened I am unsure. Mine is scoped and it's not really a concern though.

I looked at the wolf and the huntsman when I bought the Yukon. Either of those may be easier to prime with gloves in cold weather, but it's not cold here in early November and I can still prime the Yukon with gloves (shot it over christmas in PA). The wolf's ramrod ruled it out for me. What made my decision was the Yukon's action, at first I thought it was similar to the Remington Genesis, but afterwards realized the simple design may even be better.

Check out the three for yourself, if it's not a surprise, let your grandson handle them and then make the decision. Any of the three would be fine.

Any of the three mentioned would make a great first gun.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Look at the Traditions Deerhunter series. It is a lot cheaper and shoot very well. I have one in .32 cap for Squirrel and rabbit and a .50 flinter for the bigger guys. Both are well made and nicely finished. They would work nicely for a first gun and not break the bank.
Rock Lock
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply's. still havn't made up my mind yet. Whatever I decide it will be a .50cal. as we hunt deer only. Also there are more options available.