Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Feedback on the .260 Rem. >

Feedback on the .260 Rem.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Feedback on the .260 Rem.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feedback on the .260 Rem.

I am planning to buy a new M700 in .260 Rem and I was wondering what the folks who already have them think about them. I will be using this gun for target shooting and deer...mainly deer. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Feedback on the .260 Rem.

Hi Doe Dumper,

I've had a Remington 700 ADL chambered in .260 Remington for several years. I initially sighted it in using Remington factory loads 120 grain Ballistictips. Out of the box.....with a Nikon 3X9 Buckmaster this loads shoots inside an inch....all day long. I'd have to say....I like mine alot!

Good rifle.....very good caliber!

Dave
Old 01-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't give any feedback other than i want one really bad! I too would like it to be a Remington 700 but they don't chamber anythingin the 260 that i like. They have the model 7, the titanium and i think the mountain rifle but thats about it and i don't like any of those. I'm a big fan of the ADL'S but those are impossible to find. Remington use to offer the BDL SS with detachable mag in 260 with a 24" tube but for some reason they don't any more, why i don't know because it was a nice rifle. I'm looking for one now and if i don't find one in the next several months looks like i may be owning my first Ruger.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Yeah i think I will be trying a Mt Rifle. Always liked the looks of them. It sure would be nice if they made it in the ADL synethetic...ugly guns but excellent shooters.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:30 PM

Hi Doe Dumper,

My 700ADL .260 Remington....is a synthetic stock! And I did have some trouble getting it. (I originally saw that model/caliber at a gun shop near Juaniata River.....in Pennsylvania.) I was out riding that day...and didn't have the money on me. When I got back home and asked around at the local shops....(southwest PA)......they all looked it up...and told me it didn't exist. After several weeks....of assurances from me that I had actually seen one...and held it....one of my local shops....found it for me. (For all the business I do there...they had better!) I don't know if it was "limited production" or what? But I finally found...and bought it!

Good luck on your search!

Dave
Old 01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remington no longer makes the longer barrel at this time. I just got a new Ruger all weather in 260. It has a 22 inch barrel. I love the 260. I had one for several years in a Savage rifle. With good bullets it isn't far behind the 270 in performance.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:58 AM

The reason I had picked the 700 ADL with its 22" barrel is because I wanted a rifle that would do "decent" double duty. Both on varmints.....and on medium game. If I had wanted it specifically for whitetails....where I hunt them....I might have picked up a shorter barrel. And for varmints only....maybe a lighter caliber with a heavy barrel. But for a rifle that could handle both jobs...and do it fairly well.....I thought the 22" barrel length, standard weight, should work well. And it does!

I am extremely happy with my .260. It is light of recoil.....exceedingly accurate for a sporter weight rifle.....and doubles really well on varmint while really "whacking" the deer. All in all....a nice combination.

When we get back to Alaska my wife and I intend to keep it as our "light caliber" mountain rifle. (Of course backed up by a heavy caliber.....to make you "feel better" in big bear country.) But I believe the .260 will work equally well for Caribou, sheep, goat, or blacktail deer. (I will probably work up a load using a premium 140 grain.) Who knows.....might even give it a try on moose if the right circumstances present themselves. I know the caliber has a good history on Moose in the Scandanavian countries....generally using 156 grain bullets. So, I'm confident if we do our part......the cartridge will do its!

Once again....good luck for your search!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

MYkey,if you are close to Conover <NC they had one left at H&G sports,if you like I can check and see,and let you know.I have had a 260 in a rem,mtn rifle and a ruger sold them and got the bdl ss and really like it. All of them would shoot though,I just wanted the 24 in barrel.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

This is a load I worked up last month in my 260 BDL,I pulled the second shot on the last group for some reason.Soon as I get a chance I will check the speed and how it groups at 200 and 300 yds.Wonder why Rem dropped this cal in the bdl,think it was the only one avaiable in a 24 in barrel??

Old 01-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Herman, good shooting and nice groups! Your guess is as good as mine as to why Remington dropped this gun from their line-up, i have no ideal why they did that. I think your right also about the 24" barrel.
By the way i called HG&H Sports and talked with Doug and unfortunately the one he had was sold He did say he knew where one was at but it wasn't for sale because it is in his safe, hey i can't blame the guy for not wanting to sell it. He told me to check back in a couple of weeks and he would try and locate one for me. Again thanks!

Quick Reply: Feedback on the .260 Rem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.