Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Re-barreling my .270 >

Re-barreling my .270

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-barreling my .270

Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re-barreling my .270

So I'm bored with the .270. It's a Stevens 200 that I picked up a while back for next to nothing and it's in good shape. I'm just not really interested in the .270. I bought it because it was cheap and you don't pass up good deals.

A few of the options I had in mind was the .25-06, I've just always wanted one and liked it...
Thought about a 6.5X284 and slowly putting together a 1,000 yard capable rifle as funds become available....
RR mentioned the 6.5-06 A.I. and I've only just started reading about it...

A few things... I do reload... The original intent with the .25-06 was just to put together something different than the .270 to be used on whitetail and Antelope when I eventually get out there.. The 6.5X284 was in consideration for attempting to get to 1,000 yards... I'm also open to other suggestions. Just looking for something different. I have other rifles, so this rifle is not a necessity and I'm bored with it (plus it's ugly so it's begging to be changed lol). Won't be ordering or doing anything with this until July probably at the earliest. Just gathering ideas and info.

How does the 6.5-06AI compare to the 6.5X284? Also allot of people (just on various forums I read) say not much is gained going the AI route over the standard 6.5-06
-Jake
Old 04-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would run the 6.5x284 over either -06 based 6.5mm's, for the simple fact that there is GOOD factory ammo available for BOTH hunting and target shooting.

With that said, my 6.5x284 went away and is getting rebarreled into a .270 win...lol

But, a 240 Weatherby or 22x284 were my close 2nd choices and it may end up being one of those two if I can't find the .270 barrel I want pretty soon.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are both about the same performance wise, however the '06's will run away with longevity due to neck length and throat angle.
now as far as reasoning to AI it.
all an AI chamber does is set back the headspace .004" and change the shoulder angle to 40 degrees. the sharp shoulders all but eliminate case trimming cause the brass does not flow forward under max pressure when it has the sharp shoulders helping hold the pressures against the bolt face.
the AI feature will give the case just 2% more powder capacity, which common sense says will in turn give you 2% increase in MV, however due to the AI chamber being basically a custom cut, it will be minimum specs. In a min spec chamber it seems most rifles will not show the typical pressure signs, the first thing to look for is a loose primer pocket, that's a sign of casehead expansion, most rifles show the flattened primers, heavy bolt lift, just typical signs of high pressure, a custom chamber may show nothing till the primers just won't stay in, a bit tricky but once you know how to deal with a min spec chamber, that 2% performance increase can safely become a 10% increase with never having to trim a case.
Now since it is headspaced .004" less than the parent case, should the need arise you can shoot 6.5/06 ammo in the rifle and have just as good of accuracy as you get with your own loads, and almost identicle performance of the 6.5/06 with no ill effects other than fireforming the brass to your AI chamber.
RR
Old 04-10-2016, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

What twist rate would I want to go with? Probably an 8?
-Jake
Old 04-10-2016, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I would run the 6.5x284 over either -06 based 6.5mm's, for the simple fact that there is GOOD factory ammo available for BOTH hunting and target shooting.

With that said, my 6.5x284 went away and is getting rebarreled into a .270 win...lol

But, a 240 Weatherby or 22x284 were my close 2nd choices and it may end up being one of those two if I can't find the .270 barrel I want pretty soon.
The .270 just doesn't interest me. And no sense in having it if I don't really want to shoot it. Why are you going back to the .270?
-Jake
Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
What twist rate would I want to go with? Probably an 8?
-Jake
yeah to shoot the 140's and heavier the 8 would be best.
RR
Old 04-10-2016, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

another point I forgot about an AI, and the main reason they do not show your typical pressure signs. they also remove a lot of the body tapering of the case, so the taper is not acting as a wedge during peak pressure increasing bolt thrust, this is why you gain 10 or more percent MV with 2% more capacity. which is kind of unique for rifle cartridges.
Take for example my 7mm STW It uses 17% more powder than the 7mm RM, but only gets a 14% increase in MV.
RR
Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bored with the .270? Jake, I've taken my .270 all over with me. It's a Rem 700 that will shoot 1/2 MOA if I do my part. I've done it several times. Almost every deer I shot at with it was DRT. For any big game except moose and the big bears it is perfectly capable. All be it a tad light for elk. But it will work.
If you want to rebarrel there are loads of options with that bolt head size. If yo want a hammer you can go with the 338 Federal or, because you have a long action, the 35 Whelen. Both are easy to make cases for out of 308 or 30-06 brass.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Bored with the .270? Jake, I've taken my .270 all over with me. It's a Rem 700 that will shoot 1/2 MOA if I do my part. I
Ya, it shoots well, and I know it's plenty capable. Just doesn't make my heart thump....
-Jake
Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eh, I went through that silly stage in life meself years and years ago Jake. If it wasn't different (wildcat) I didn't give 2 hoots about it. Hence my love affair with the 7mm-08. I was building those rounds many many moons before Remington decided to call it their own. Another was my old 8mm.06 ( I miss hell outta that rifle), .375 Whelen was a good one but it was a bit of hell on the shoulder (both mine and whatever animal I hit with it). Obviously I went through an 06 parent case stage Granted I always had my old trusty Mod.70 .30-06 but it just didn't trip my trigger for interest. By the way Jake, you do know the wildcat bug can be a VERY expensive illness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.