HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Re-barreling my .270
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Default Re-barreling my .270

So I'm bored with the .270. It's a Stevens 200 that I picked up a while back for next to nothing and it's in good shape. I'm just not really interested in the .270. I bought it because it was cheap and you don't pass up good deals.

A few of the options I had in mind was the .25-06, I've just always wanted one and liked it...
Thought about a 6.5X284 and slowly putting together a 1,000 yard capable rifle as funds become available....
RR mentioned the 6.5-06 A.I. and I've only just started reading about it...

A few things... I do reload... The original intent with the .25-06 was just to put together something different than the .270 to be used on whitetail and Antelope when I eventually get out there.. The 6.5X284 was in consideration for attempting to get to 1,000 yards... I'm also open to other suggestions. Just looking for something different. I have other rifles, so this rifle is not a necessity and I'm bored with it (plus it's ugly so it's begging to be changed lol). Won't be ordering or doing anything with this until July probably at the earliest. Just gathering ideas and info.

How does the 6.5-06AI compare to the 6.5X284? Also allot of people (just on various forums I read) say not much is gained going the AI route over the standard 6.5-06
-Jake