Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler >

7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler

Old 02-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnermhr

Back to the OP, stick with the 300 period no matter if it’s a WM or WSM for the simple reason I mentioned before, Bullet selection, the variety in .308 is equaled by no other caliber, from 125grain to the big heavy 240’s
If I were in the market,it would come down to the 300 WM or the 7mm RM.

Quick trip over to midway shows 71 available loads for the 300 WM vs. 37 for the 300 WSM. Of those, the 300 WM offers more non premium but effective loads that are less expensive. The 300WM also provides heavier grained bullet options.

The 7mm RM offers 61 bullet choices, many of which are premium or heavy for caliber loads. They are also less expensive than the 300 WM offerings.

Either the 300 WM or the 7mm RM can easily handle the game and range the OP originally mentioned.
To the OP: the nod goes to the 300 WM, IMO, but cost and recoil might be the most important factor in your decision. In that case, the 7mm RM prevails.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 02-27-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Good point game stalker, I was only considering reloads and not factoring commercial offerings
Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
If I were in the market,it would come down to the 300 WM or the 7mm RM.

Quick trip over to midway shows 71 available loads for the 300 WM vs. 37 for the 300 WSM. Of those, the 300 WM offers more non premium but effective loads that are less expensive. The 300WM also provides heavier grained bullet options.

The 7mm RM offers 61 bullet choices, many of which are premium or heavy for caliber loads. They are also less expensive than the 300 WM offerings.

Either the 300 WM or the 7mm RM can easily handle the game and range the OP originally mentioned.
To the OP: the nod goes to the 300 WM, IMO, but cost and recoil might be the most important factor in your decision. In that case, the 7mm RM prevails.
I know what you are saying about the bullet offerings and prices but.............if we all based our decisions on this, we would all shoot a 30.06. Just saying.....
Old 02-28-2016, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to force myself to think about factory loads for anything for others cause I've been reloading since 1972 and bullet caster started not long after that and it's been quite a few years (well over 30) since I even bought any centerfire ammo of any kind!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I know what you are saying about the bullet offerings and prices but.............if we all based our decisions on this, we would all shoot a 30.06. Just saying.....
CLd,
the answer to this IMO seems pretty simple. The OP is only 17 yrs. old. We know nothing about his finances or his ability to handle recoil. Finances may be a consideration for anyone here, so that deserved mention. The OP knows his financial circumstances and can purchase accordingly. The point is, IMO, the 300 WM and 7mm RM have proven themselves in the game fields over the decades and premium and non premium bullets are readily available in light and heavy loads for smaller and heavier games species. Both said calibers will handle Olympic/Roosevelt elk at his stated range.

Where deer and pronghorn size game is concerned, a practiced shooter w/a .308 winchester can kill said game handily out to 500 yds. Magnums in most cases aren't required. A magnum in this case is a wise choice and simply icing on the cake.

Every shooter should be well versed at shot placement at the ranges they intend to engage game. Practice ='s shot placement skill and practice involves plenty of expense and in this case, recoil, as most of us more experienced folks know. Throwing out range distance expectations is the easy part. The real work is reaching our objective.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 02-28-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

gunnerhmr, I posted 2 links on page 3 with the records and it even has pictures! First post on page 3 of this forum.

Now lets have a little looksie at your statement. While yes there can be some fantastic information gleaned from bench gun shooters, a lot of it can't be used in the hunting rifle world simply because of the nature of the rifles. Bench guns are heavily barreled with blue printed actions and many other customized parts and gizmos. I don't know about other hunters, but this old man here aint carrying a 25+# rifle out on an Elk hunt! So we, as HUNTERS, have to find loads that will work from the rifles we can carry out in the woods. Barrel harmonics play a key role in shots past 300 yards and the hunting profiled barrels of our rifles have much more "whip" than a bench gun.

Like StalkingBear and many others on this forum, I have rolled my own ammo for many many years so taking factory options in ammo into account for me is a bit difficult seeing as I have bought very little factory ammo in 40+ years. We have a fairly broad knowledge base on many cartridges and the vast majority of our knowledge is based on performance on GAME ANIMALS not paper targets.

Now, the op said within 400 yards on his post. Of the 3 mentioned cartridge choices, an Elk wont know a bit of difference between any of them at what killed it as long as he uses a good performing bullet with good TERMINAL BALLISTICS to get the job done. I myself am not a big fan of the magnums simply for the cost and recoil. Inside of 400 yards I can tell you that I would take anything on the North American Continent including Brown Bears with the trusty old .30/06 and HAVE done so!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

my gripe is all those efficiency claims
its not anymore efficient, your claim is 2860 fps with a 210, vs the wm with a 190 at 2900 with 9 gr more powder
1) a 300 wsm will not run a 210 that fast as it comes from the factory due to longer seating length of the long action box mag and perhaps a longer throat, so to shoot a 210 in a factory wsm your using up a lot of powder space for bullet storage.
2) also your wsm has a 29" barrel
3) the custom barrel is faster than a production barrel, at least every one I ever chrony'd was
my 6.5 gibbs will flat outrun a 264 win mag with 9 gr less powder, but it has a 30 " barrel, that 1/2 foot of barrel doesn't make it efficient.
you will always hit max pressure in a smaller case using less powder
Inherrent accuracy
once you full house customize a rifle, inherent accuracy is a moot point, I have a rifles built by some world class smiths, they have case capacities anywhere from 20 couple to 122 gr of H2o they will all shoot bugholes from the bench, very little difference in group sizes which cannot be proven to be related to inherent accuracy
RR
Old 02-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
The 300 WSM beats the 7mm and the 300 Win Mag hands down.
Look at all the available cartridges for the 7MM, versus that of the .300 WSM, lightweight to heavyweight.

The 7mm and the .308 are the best calibers for most of us that can only afford or desire (1) gun that works for many differing types of hunting animals.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to take the "records" with a grain of salt. The quality of parts that go into rifles is MUCH better these days. The number of "match" barrel manufacturers has grown exponentially in the last decade, as has action and stock makers. Scopes have gotten much much better too, better tracking, glass, parallax, everything...And we all know when a record is broken with a certain cartridge then everyone and their brother must have one because it's "the best"...even tho the parts, shooter and guy that screwed the gun together have much more to do with it then the piece of brass holding the powder and bullet.

Look at factory rifles these days...a decade ago if you had a factory rifle shoot sub-MOA it was a "shooter" and "rare"...now if you get one that doesn't shoot sub-MOA it's junk and needs returned...
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gee Golly!!!!!!! After reading a BUNCH of posts online on different groups/pages/forums, I'm going to have to throw most of my ol homemade guns in the trash! All anybody has to do is ask a question and they'll get a LOT more answers varying as widely as possible. It pisses me off that I have to throw away my whole collection and start over again every time I read a bunch of posts online! If not for this I might have became a multimillionaire!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.