HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

gunnerhmr, I posted 2 links on page 3 with the records and it even has pictures! First post on page 3 of this forum.

Now lets have a little looksie at your statement. While yes there can be some fantastic information gleaned from bench gun shooters, a lot of it can't be used in the hunting rifle world simply because of the nature of the rifles. Bench guns are heavily barreled with blue printed actions and many other customized parts and gizmos. I don't know about other hunters, but this old man here aint carrying a 25+# rifle out on an Elk hunt! So we, as HUNTERS, have to find loads that will work from the rifles we can carry out in the woods. Barrel harmonics play a key role in shots past 300 yards and the hunting profiled barrels of our rifles have much more "whip" than a bench gun.

Like StalkingBear and many others on this forum, I have rolled my own ammo for many many years so taking factory options in ammo into account for me is a bit difficult seeing as I have bought very little factory ammo in 40+ years. We have a fairly broad knowledge base on many cartridges and the vast majority of our knowledge is based on performance on GAME ANIMALS not paper targets.

Now, the op said within 400 yards on his post. Of the 3 mentioned cartridge choices, an Elk wont know a bit of difference between any of them at what killed it as long as he uses a good performing bullet with good TERMINAL BALLISTICS to get the job done. I myself am not a big fan of the magnums simply for the cost and recoil. Inside of 400 yards I can tell you that I would take anything on the North American Continent including Brown Bears with the trusty old .30/06 and HAVE done so!