Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm vs 300 win vs 28 nosler

Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM
  #21  
Nontypical Buck
 
super_hunt54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,695
Default

Record holder Jim Richards shooting a 2.6872" group at 1000 yards (all in the 8 ring) with a 6mm Dasher and 105 grain Bergers. This was LIGHT GUN class. Matt Klines' record in HEAVY GUN was 2.815" with a 300 WSM. All of Matt's were in the 10 ring with 3 in the X ring and one cutting the line. Group size goes to Jim, scoring goes to Matt. (Jim missed closer)

Here are both links for your viewing pleasure

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ory-be-amazed/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-with-300-wsm/
super_hunt54 is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
  #22  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 172
Default

I have many rifles chambered for those rounds including a 300 H&H in an old M70!

I have a 260 Rem, 264 WM, 270 Win., 270 WSM, 7 X 57, 7mm WSM, 7 RemMag, 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H and other chamberings.

I don't enjoy the kick from the 300 magnums and I take the 7's to hunt. We all vary. Get what you like.
Savage_99 is offline  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
  #23  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
300 Win Mag simply because of Bullet selection. I'd take a WSM over it though because of inherent accuracy and it isn't a belted mag. I have a few 300WSM's and won't be without one.
You have a FEW 300 WSM's???

I don't prefer the belted magnums with shoulders either however!
Savage_99 is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 AM
  #24  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by Savage_99
You have a FEW 300 WSM's???

I don't prefer the belted magnums with shoulders either however!
One is set up as a Heavy long range hunting rig, it used to be my Heavy Williamsport gun, I just use it for hunting now and it's due to be barreled, Considering a 338 Edge for the next chamber

The other is a Light gun with an MTU Taper, it's set up as a switch Barrel, the other barrel is a 1.250" made to keep under 20lbs for a local match I like to shoot at. It's on it's 3rd MTU Barrel.

A 300WSM isn't the answer for everything but it is an awesome all around cartridge.
gunnermhr is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 12:38 PM
  #25  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 3,698
Default

ever shoot a .04 moa group with that inherently accurate 300 wsm at long range?
RR
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 01:24 PM
  #26  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
ever shoot a .04 moa group with that inherently accurate 300 wsm at long range?
RR
Not a 10 shot group a 1000, several under that at 500 under match match conditions. It's cleaned up at Ridgway's long range varmint match a few times. Truth be told I'm beginning to like the dasher a bit more for competition.

You say that like it should be an easy task?
gunnermhr is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM
  #27  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 3,698
Default

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
Not a 10 shot group a 1000, several under that at 500 under match match conditions. It's cleaned up at Ridgway's long range varmint match a few times. Truth be told I'm beginning to like the dasher a bit more for competition.

You say that like it should be an easy task?
so you have shot .2 at 500? with the 300 wsm? post pics of the target please, I have shot .04 moa at 750 yards with an even more obscure cartridge one developed back in the 60's.
RR
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 03:06 PM
  #28  
Nontypical Buck
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Ky
Posts: 2,867
Default

RR, are you forgetting a decimal somewhere? I well know the grade of rifles you shoot, and know you're extremely skilled, but .04 moa at 750 yards is .3. Now moa is a tad over inches but .3 at 750 yards? If you say you did it I'll believe you as you have no reason to exaggerate. Heck I was happy when my sporter weight (almost) deer rifle I built chambered in my wildcat got 2.5" 5 shot groups at 800!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 02-26-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Addition
stalkingbear is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Eastern wv
Posts: 3,698
Default

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
RR, are you forgetting a decimal somewhere? I well know the grade of rifles you shoot, and know you're extremely skilled, but .04 moa at 750 yards is .3. Now moa is a tad over inches but .3 at 750 yards? If you say you did it I'll believe you as you have no reason to exaggerate. Heck I was happy when my sporter weight (almost) deer rifle I built chambered in my wildcat got 2.5" 5 shot groups at 800!
3 shot group at a lazered 752 yards

RR
Ridge Runner is offline  
Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 PM
  #30  
Nontypical Buck
 
Colorado Luckydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntin' In Colorado
Posts: 2,910
Default

The 300 WSM beats the 7mm and the 300 Win Mag hands down. The best thing about the 300WSM is the gun itself. It has a short action with a 23" barrel. It is a pleasure to carry around and has better ballistics than the 7MM or the 300 Win mag.
Colorado Luckydog is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.