Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hog hunting rifle choice.... >

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Old 11-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The down side to using smaller calibers is, if you do screw up the shot, Hogs often tend to stop bleeding quickly (the wound can pucker shut fast). You may never find that Hog. If they make it very far they are likely to head for brush so thick you can't walk through it. Bring a machete.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Stalking, you often have a snap shot, wounds are a high probability. You seeing them before they hear or smell you is unlikely, both of you discovering the other at about the same time is more likely. A quick follow up shot is a plus, as is using a bullet big enough to open up a wound big enough to bleed (and follow).

Hydrostatic shock doesn't mean as much for a Hog as it does a deer. So high velocities are less useful, bigger diameter bullets are the preference.

A survey I read rated Hogs as about the same as Elk, as to how much rifle it takes to reliably bring one down cleanly. Elk are about two or three times the size as your average Hog.

Big moderate velocity bullets are preferred for Hogs around here. 7 mm being on the low end, all the way up to 11.4 mm (45-70), 8X57 or 8X64 mm being the most used.

I use a 35 Remington (9 mm) 200 gr Silver tips (from my stash, they have discontinued this bullet) or soft point core lokt. for stalking. Sometimes I use my slug gun.

Practically and ethically, IMO use enough gun.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder what MC calls your average size hog since a bull elk will weigh anywhere from 700 to 1000 pounds and he's stated an elk is 2 to 3 times as big. I would have to disagree since it's very doubtful that many people are shooting 300# + hogs routinely. Many people are still using a .243 and many are going to the 7mm-08 with great success on elk. They are big, but a well constructed bullet through the lungs will take them down in short order. I've never used anything larger than my 25-06 Ruger on hogs down in Texas and every one was shot right below the ear when they were broadside. The last one was with my .243 Sako at 125 yards while he was standing straight on and the bullet was put right between the eyes. I've never attempted a shot on a hog in it's body, because I prefer to shoot them where I stated and they just flop over and kick a few times. All were shot from tower blinds where a good rest was available and the animals were feeding and unaware of anything other than what they were eating. If I was stalking them at ground level I may well want a bigger gun like MC mentioned to lessen not finding one that would possibly be shot in the body. In that particular case like MC mentioned, bigger would probably be better.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-11-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hydrostatic shock doesn't mean as much for a Hog as it does a deer. So high velocities are less useful, bigger diameter bullets are the preference.
I honestly do not think I have seen a more INCORRECT statement ever typed on this site. Hydrostatic shock is absolutely just as detrimental to a hog as it is on ANY animal. And the speedy little .223 does a hell of a lot more damage than some seem to think. With the properly constructed bullet it can drop a hog just as cleanly and quickly as my .458 SOCOM. Now granted my .458 is going to leave more impact damage but if placed properly that little .223 does more than enough to kill a hog. Would it be my choice for a regular hog rifle? Nope, I have several hog rifles that are better suited for my needs such as a 6.8SPC AR, a 7mm/08 LR, the aforementioned .458 SOCOM and a new .338FED LR. Dropped a thousand or so hogs with that 6.8, several hundred with that .458, few hundred with the 7mm/08 and haven't gotten the new .338 out to the hog spots yet. Not to mention the hundreds dropped with my .30/30, .45 colt, .220 SWIFT, .22-250 (those 2 ya stickum in the ear ) .500 S&W, .44 mag, .357 mag, .45/70, various muzzleloaders, 12 gauge (slug and buckshot) and the list goes on.

Based on the OP's options, because of factory ammo availability for both the .223 and the X39 with poor choices really for hunting for the X39, the .223 is probably his best option for now. If he ends up liking the sport and wants to get into it with another choice he can then visit better options for a hog rifle.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I honestly do not think I have seen a more INCORRECT statement ever typed on this site. Hydrostatic shock is absolutely just as detrimental to a hog as it is on ANY animal. And the speedy little .223 does a hell of a lot more damage than some seem to think. With the properly constructed bullet it can drop a hog just as cleanly and quickly as my .458 SOCOM. Now granted my .458 is going to leave more impact damage but if placed properly that little .223 does more than enough to kill a hog. Would it be my choice for a regular hog rifle? Nope, I have several hog rifles that are better suited for my needs such as a 6.8SPC AR, a 7mm/08 LR, the aforementioned .458 SOCOM and a new .338FED LR. Dropped a thousand or so hogs with that 6.8, several hundred with that .458, few hundred with the 7mm/08 and haven't gotten the new .338 out to the hog spots yet. Not to mention the hundreds dropped with my .30/30, .45 colt, .220 SWIFT, .22-250 (those 2 ya stickum in the ear ) .500 S&W, .44 mag, .357 mag, .45/70, various muzzleloaders, 12 gauge (slug and buckshot) and the list goes on.

Based on the OP's options, because of factory ammo availability for both the .223 and the X39 with poor choices really for hunting for the X39, the .223 is probably his best option for now. If he ends up liking the sport and wants to get into it with another choice he can then visit better options for a hog rifle.
Your going to have anomalies but IMO a Hog is a whole lot more sturdy than a Deer. So hydro static shock is likely to have a lesser immediate effect, at least in the short term.

Just my observation, I'm not calling it an every time fact. I shoot a Deer and you can see the shock, I shoot a Hog and as often as not they don't even flinch. A larger caliber bullet can stagger them. Like I said not an every time thing, but often. A through and through that doesn't hit bone, in many cases just makes them kick in the afterburners.

And what I said about an average sized Hog being as hard to knock down as an Elk was a quote, as was the survey I read.

Most of my encounters with Hogs are on the way from bed to food, or food to bed. I ambush them. They re moving, but not spooked. When they are moving is a good time to get a decent shot, they are often making a racket which masks your noise, the local scents are changing continuously IMO they have sensory overload and are more likely to not notice you are around.

Stalking, I usually sneak up on them asleep and I'm often within 6-10 feet when they awaken and see me, I see them and they are doing 30 MPH in nothing flat. You have a second or two to get a shot off, usually at their rear end. They usually dig into brush or straw when they sleep. My best luck has been mid morning on the sunny side of a brush pile. Or 2-3 A.M. moving quietly where the woods meet a meadow.

Here they usually feed at night and without night vision optics (illegal here) getting close enough for a shot can be iffy, if you are trying to stalk them. Full Moon or near full, is a good time to try night stalking.

Setting up and waiting where they are likely to be feeding is a whole other matter, you may get some time to aim well and pick your shot. At ground level, in a grain field, in the brush or the woods a good shot is rare, unless you are on the high ground.

I didn't say a .223 won't kill one, I said if you don't get the perfect shot, the bullet hole is likely to close up and there may not be any blood trail. No blood trail and finding that Hog can be really hard to do. If it makes it into the brush 30-40 yards you can be looking around in there for hours. I found one under a pile of brush hogged Blackberry bushes once.

Just opinion, I've hunted a lot with my .222, grant you it is a little smaller than the .223 but it would be my last choice for Hog hunting.

They may make some special hunting ammo for the 7.63 X 39 I know nothing about.

To me hunting is taking a good shot and having whatever you shoot drop in a pile. Next best is it runs few yards and drops. Acceptable is it runs 30-50 yards and drops. Taking any old shot, at anything and hoping someday something drops someplace, isn't hunting.

IMO use enough gun if you have a choice. If all you have isn't optimal, pick your shots carefully.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 11-11-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 AM
Typical Buck

This one can be argued all day. For your stalking, take either the Mini or an SKS, buy some hunting ammo and shoot both. Take the one you shoot the best and feel most comfortable with. Both will kill em dead if you do your part.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Every time I've hunted hogs has been over dogs so the hogs were wound up with fight or flight occurring. Weight on the hogs either I or hunting buddies shot on these hunts ranged from 150 to 275 with results of DRT to running off for a 100 yards or so. Almost all of the shots taken were body shots as we were trophy hunting. As best I can recall, calibers were from 270 through 350 Marlin.

For the OP, the advice of shooting a .223 or 7.62x39 in the ear (brain shot) seems like good advice. If you're hunting for meat, you wouldn't be worried about messing up a trophy with a head shot. If you go to our airgun forum, one member has posted a head shot (between the eyes) hog with a .25 airgun that was DRT. The pig looked more like a javelina size than a large hog but it's pretty hard to argue with the results. Good luck with your hunting and let us know the results.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice everyone. As noted, this will only be temporary to confirm if I like the sport of hog hunting or not, then I can buy a more appropriate weapon.

I have a friend or two that are gunsmiths, and I plan on taking both SKS and the Mini to be gone over, cleaned, and checked. At the same time, I figure it would be a good time to learn how to take them apart and clean myself. From videos, it looks like the SKS may have won the battle in this area as far as easier to do.

Either way, whichever rifle is most accurate will be my weapon of choice. I have no wants to trophy hunt or bring down a very large boar (maybe in the future). I am just looking for something more javelina size to put some meet in the freezer.

I mainly want something to keep me safe while out surveying my FILs hunting land to try and find signs of hogs. I will also have my 9mm Taurus on my side.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hopefully this will help; although admittedly the .223 ammo is on the low end.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Full-Boar
Old 11-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Hopefully this will help; although admittedly the .223 ammo is on the low end.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Full-Boar
Those look interesting!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sheridan, I don't know what it is about them but I have only gotten 2 rifles to ever shoot those Hornady GMX bullets worth a damn. And as you know I am a HUGE Hornady user. For some odd reason I just have not been able to get good groups out of the things. One of my Bolt action 06's (newer Mauser action build with a Shilen barrel) got a 165gr GMX to group well at around 1" at 150 and my 7mm08 barrel for my TC PH spat them out very respectfully at around 1.5" at 200. All my other rifles that I have tried them in just wouldn't hold a group worth diddly. Tried all kinds of powders and load variations and even primer switches. Granted I never tried their factory ammo though so maybe their formula in their factory loads shoot lights out! Never know.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 11-12-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.