Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hog hunting rifle choice.... >

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Old 11-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Spike

I am almost backtracking now and considering the Remington 870 Express 12 gauge he has, get an improved cylinder choke and use some rifled slugs.

I say this for a few reasons:

1) I may not always be with someone and the 870 would pack a much meaner punch if I were to come in close contact with a pissed off piggy.

2) The 870 could be used for waterfowl/turkey as well, so it could be a well rounded multi-purpose gun for me.

I will still get either the SKS-45 or Mini-14 cleaned up and play around with, but probably won't use those while on foot, but strictly in the stand.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

That sounds like a wise decision. You never know when your javelina size hog might have a teed off parent or larger hog with it.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
That sounds like a wise decision. You never know when your javelina size hog might have a teed off parent or larger hog with it.
Yep, it may kick like hell, and leave a large hole, but safety by myself would probably be the best option.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a link you may want to check out. Essentially, this gunsmith lengthens the shotgun barrel forcing cone to help increase accuracy and reduce recoil and a few other mods. When I was at the Sheriff's office, they had all Patrol Remington 870 shotguns modified by this guy and it was impressive. You could easily put a load of buckshot in the breadbasket on a 25-yard target and could reliably hit B-26 silhouette targets in the chest at 100 yards. IIRC, he also installed a ghost ring aperture sight on the shotguns which greatly assisted accurate aiming. You would still feel the shotgun kick but that recoil was tamed a bit.

Since you have a couple gunsmithing buddies, they might be able to do the work a lot cheaper as a buddy favor.

With these shotguns' accuracy, I could see using slugs out to 100 yards on a pig or deer. I never used one for hunting (they belonged to the Sheriff's Dept.) but I think it would definitely take a large hog DRT.

http://www.vangcomp.com/about-faq/
Old 11-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

For its ability to punch a very authoritative hole in the hogs, the shotgun option would be plenty of medicine assuming you were comfortable with the pump action mechanism.

The SKS would still be viable when with partners, but if you are alone I second your decision to use the 12 ga. Maybe load it with slug, slug, followed by 00 buck.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
For its ability to punch a very authoritative hole in the hogs, the shotgun option would be plenty of medicine assuming you were comfortable with the pump action mechanism.

The SKS would still be viable when with partners, but if you are alone I second your decision to use the 12 ga. Maybe load it with slug, slug, followed by 00 buck.
Good idea, I would have never thought of mixing them up for an O CRAP moment
Old 11-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

First shot slug, next 2 buck shot. If that slug didn't stop or turn him then that's going to definitely "oh crap" moment.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many years ago I started carrying my Remington shotgun (slug gun) with me when walking to a high seat in the dark (and my .44 revolver). I've walked to a high seat in the dark hundreds of times with no problem. Three times I've had a sphincter tightening moment and another time I got really nervous. I also use the slug gun when going into brush looking for downed Hogs.

The pucker factor always goes up when they see or sense you and don't head for the hills. If they aren't afraid of me, I'm afraid of them.

The scariest was when I was crossing a waste deep ditch and a 5-6 year old Sow came charging right at me. She stopped around halfway across the meadow, maybe 30-35 yards from me. I really don't know if I was between her and where she wanted to flee too or it was a mock charge. I figured out that night, a bolt action rifle, on the ground with a large Hog, may not be my best choice. As fast as she was moving I was only going to get one shot.

Another time I was walking up a fire trail through the woods, using the grass covered center hump to walk quiet. Just as I break out of the woods onto a meadow I see a sounder lounging around on the grass maybe 30 yards in front of me. Then I hear a litter of squeakers cry alarm in the brush to my right and then hear mothers snort to my left. The Sounder scattered, I made like a tree and froze, Mother ran right past me towards her babies, brushing my leg.

Something few people realize is a Hog can run, they can cover 10-15 yards a second.

Bring toilet paper.

Here is a video you may find interesting, listen closely, some good info in this video. Not your kind of hunt, but some good info anyway.