Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hog hunting rifle choice.... >

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hog hunting rifle choice....

Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Spike

Question Hog hunting rifle choice....

Ok,

A little backstory. I have shot guns, and own a few, but had never been hunting until last weekend on a quail hunt before my brother-in-law’s wedding. I used the Plantation owner’s personal 20 gauge and had a great time. I do plan on quail hunting again, but this will probably only be a yearly guided outing with family.

This has peaked my interest in hunting hogs, as both my wife and I love the oink, and I have wanted to try hog hunting for some time. I have never hunted deer, and as of now probably won’t, as my wife just won’t eat the stuff (I think her dad ruined her growing up with everything being venison).

Now this brings me to my firearm question. I am interested in stalking the hogs, no real stand hunting or dog hunting right now. My uncle has several guns stored at my parents’ house that I have access to, and figured I would make sure this is something I was interested in before spending big money on a new rifle.

So now the ultimate question, which of these rifles would best suit my needs for the time being?

Russian SKS-45 – There are two of these, kinda rough, but with some love should be fine.

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Riffle .223 – This one looks to be practically brand new.

There are many 12gauges, so I figured I could use some slugs, but I narrowed it down to the above 2 because I figured they would be the easiest to sneak around the woods with.

These guns would probably never be used again if I don’t use them, as my dad nor my uncle hunt. Might as well get some use out of them. Whichever I pick I plan on mounting a small scope to, and get started. If this is something I love and stick with, I will get a rifle that more suits my needs. Or who knows, one of these may work just fine.

Also, as a side note, I don’t plan on killing any extra-large hogs unless they are trying to kill me
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather put a well placed 7.62 X 39 round into a hog than a .223. I would think that the heavier projectile with more frontal area would be more effective. But I have to admit that I've never taken any game with any of my 3 SKS rifles and have also never hog hunted. I'm just guessing here ... and others will certainly chime in with more experience than me.

Assuming a properly constructed bullet is used I'd go with the SKS. There are plenty of good factory hunting ammo for the 7.62 X 39. My 3 SKS rifles are plenty accurate enough for hog hunting at stalking ranges. You gonna be alone or will you have backup along?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Spike

Hope to have a buddy along just to be safe.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Spike

Ahh, looking at the picture, there is an M1 Carbine that I forgot about. We are currently living with my parents while building a home, and these just happened to be in the closet in the room we are staying in
Attached Thumbnails Hog hunting rifle choice....-guns.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Spike

.223 is way too small, my grandpa used to bring a 357 magnum javelina hunting. Javelinas are the 'hogs' of Arizona. I would recommend a 357 revolver since they're perty cheap.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see a Rem 870 shotgun and a sxs that looks like a sidelock if it isn't a false sidelock that may be valuable. If you want a good hunting rifle for hogs and other big game, pick out what you want to keep sell the rest and buy a 30-06, .308 or 45-70 or other rifle that you can use for many things. I use a 45-70 for hogs, it is my favorite rifle, I have take 6 hogs with it.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I see a Rem 870 shotgun and a sxs that looks like a sidelock if it isn't a false sidelock that may be valuable. If you want a good hunting rifle for hogs and other big game, pick out what you want to keep sell the rest and buy a 30-06, .308 or 45-70 or other rifle that you can use for many things. I use a 45-70 for hogs, it is my favorite rifle, I have take 6 hogs with it.
Well, being as they are my uncle's guns, I am free to use any of them as much as I like, but not mine to sell. I wrote down what everyone was, but left that list at the house. And yes, there is an 870 Remington Wingmaster. I considered that one with slugs, but that requires a barrel change correct?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

For me, yes it would, a shorter rifled barrel to shoot saboted slugs. You can shoot regular rifled slugs through that original barrel but there is a reason for rifled barrels and sabots, much better accuracy.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, there have been literally 100's of thousands of hogs killed with the .223. With the right bullet choice and proper bullet PLACEMENT they have actually turned out to be a pretty good hog cartridge. Factory loads aren't as abundant for good hog cartridges but they are out there to be had. Federal Fusions in 62 grain work well, Winchester Razorbacks are also pretty sporty hog killers too. I too was always in the ".223 is to light for hogs" but there have just been absolutely TOO many hogs dropped with them to deny that the little .223 with proper bullets and placement (something you should always try to attain with ANY cartridge choice) has turned out to be a fine hog killer.

OP, try out all the rifles (the .223 with the ammo I suggested since I am assuming you don' reload your own ammo) and see which is most accurate for you. The 2 SKS's would be okay choices as well with the right ammo but it's been my experience they aren't that accurate. But my definition of accurate and some others on here vary greatly. Whichever you choose to use, make sure you are using hunting ammo and not FMJ military ammo from either.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

There isn't a hog on the planet that won't drop fast to a .223rem with 60grn Nosler Partitions. I've killed bunches on bunches of hogs with a .223rem or .22-250, even with varmint bullets, but I've found the 60grn Partition to be the ideal ticket for that application.

Whether that Mini-14 is accurate enough for the purpose, that's up to you to determine.

I've also used the x39 round in mini's, sks's and ar's for piggies, not a lot of good hunting loads or bullets available, but there are enough around to keep you fed. It's not hard enough hitting to make a huge difference for long range penetration of the shield on super pigs, and for ear shooters, it's not going to have any advantage over the 223rem.

Flip a coin, the sks or the mini will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.