Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anybody shot this? >

Has anybody shot this?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anybody shot this?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but a 16" AR could easily do anything the Hi-Point Carbine could do, and then some.
Except for be purchased for under $300.

Case closed - the Hi-Point isn't what he's looking for in a deer/bear "rifle".
Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but a 16" AR could easily do anything the Hi-Point Carbine could do, and then some.
Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Or be fired for around 35 cents per round (factory ammo 9mm)

Or I haven't seen an AR maker yet put a LIFETIME guarantee on one of their rifles. Could be wrong on that but I aint seen it. And that's from barrel to buffer. And it doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the 5th. They may be ugly, they may be a bit clunky, but from every report and writeup I have read on them, they are accurate and run well with pretty much any ammo you run through them.

But like Mercy said, aint none of that matters since it for dang sure isn't and appropriate deer/bear firearm. Maybe the .45ACP version with the proper bullet/load combination at a VERY limited range but the .40S&W just aint got the wollup to make it an ethical cartridge choice.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

olympic arms, RRA and a few others have lifetime warranties
RR
Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

You got me on that one, but, sometimes, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Or be fired for around 35 cents per round (factory ammo 9mm)

Or I haven't seen an AR maker yet put a LIFETIME guarantee on one of their rifles. Could be wrong on that but I aint seen it. And that's from barrel to buffer. And it doesn't matter if you are the original owner or the 5th. They may be ugly, they may be a bit clunky, but from every report and writeup I have read on them, they are accurate and run well with pretty much any ammo you run through them.

But like Mercy said, aint none of that matters since it for dang sure isn't and appropriate deer/bear firearm. Maybe the .45ACP version with the proper bullet/load combination at a VERY limited range but the .40S&W just aint got the wollup to make it an ethical cartridge choice.
Not sure where you buy ammo, but I feed mine factory loads for less than 30 cents a round.

Maybe they don't advertise it, but most AR manufacturers will stand behind their products. You can slap a fancy guarantee on a big box of dookie, but at the end of the day, its still a big box of dookie.

I do agree, though. .40 is not a hunting cartridge, and .45 would be marginal at best.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe they don't advertise it, but most AR manufacturers will stand behind their products. You can slap a fancy guarantee on a big box of dookie, but at the end of the day, its still a big box of dookie.

As a direct example: Ruger is a company that publicly specifies - we don't have a written warranty, because we don't want our hands tied to the letter of a warranty - we want to be able to make our customers happy.

I wouldn't say that the Hi-Points are a box of schitt though. They might look like it, might feel like it, but they don't run like it, and I haven't had any service issues with the 3 I have owned - even though I treated them like schitt...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
olympic arms, RRA and a few others have lifetime warranties
RR
And most all of them are non transferable and limited (read the fine print)

Not sure where you buy ammo, but I feed mine factory loads for less than 30 cents a round.

I do agree, though. .40 is not a hunting cartridge, and .45 would be marginal at best.
I haven't bought any factory ammo in many many years. Been reloading for my firearms for 50+ years now. I MAY buy a box for a certain rifle here and there to fire-form cases or may have to get a box or 2 because brass is hard to find sometimes but that is very few and far between. I just did a Google search on the average price per round of 9mm which came out to 28-38 cents per round. Even reloading you will have a hard time plinking with an AR for that cheap.

As far as standing behind their product, most manufacturers will for the most part but not lifetime they wont. And Hi Points warranty is transferable and unlimited and best of all no questions asked! I've seen only a couple of poor reviews on their carbines and those seemed to be the kinds of guys with their noses in the air about any firearm that costs less than $1,000. Their pistols on the other hand, well, a fairly expensive paper weight comes to mind. I'm no home defense firearm guru. My home defense consists of 2 very big Rotties and handguns and shotguns in various locations throughout the house. You get by my babies and you are earning everything you get but my opinion on the Hi Point carbine would be a fine addition for a home defense weapon. Might even go check a couple out in .45acp! But a big game rifle it surely aint!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

As a direct example: Ruger is a company that publicly specifies - we don't have a written warranty, because we don't want our hands tied to the letter of a warranty - we want to be able to make our customers happy.

I wouldn't say that the Hi-Points are a box of schitt though. They might look like it, might feel like it, but they don't run like it, and I haven't had any service issues with the 3 I have owned - even though I treated them like schitt...
I wasn't literally calling them a box of schitt, but you obviously got the reference. I actually toyed with he idea of getting one of their 9mm pistols to leave in the toolbox of my tractor. I always seem to kick up a coyote or two at really close range, when I'm cutting hay.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Better off with a short shotgun and buckshot!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
And most all of them are non transferable and limited (read the fine print)
You buy a lot of second hand Hi-Points?

Dodge had to change their warranty to 100k miles in order to sell trucks, just because their reputation for driveline reliability was so bad.

I haven't bought any factory ammo in many many years. Been reloading for my firearms for 50+ years now. I MAY buy a box for a certain rifle here and there to fire-form cases or may have to get a box or 2 because brass is hard to find sometimes but that is very few and far between. I just did a Google search on the average price per round of 9mm which came out to 28-38 cents per round. Even reloading you will have a hard time plinking with an AR for that cheap.
I have an easy time plinking and hunting with my AR that cheap because, like I said, you can get factory loads for 26 cents/round, and you can reload a heck of a lot cheaper than that. I buy a fair bit of factory .223 because I shoot so much of it I couldn't really keep up by reloading. Around here, you can get 9mm for $15/box plus tax, which is right around 30 cents/round.

As far as standing behind their product, most manufacturers will for the most part but not lifetime they wont. And Hi Points warranty is transferable and unlimited and best of all no questions asked!
I don't know who you've dealt with for warranty service, but I've had no problems getting things taken care of, no questions asked. Most of them didn't even ask me if I was the original owner.

I've seen only a couple of poor reviews on their carbines and those seemed to be the kinds of guys with their noses in the air about any firearm that costs less than $1,000.
Not sure what you're getting at here, either. None of my AR's (except my custom race gun) cost more than $1k. In fact, you can get a DPMS Sportical from Academy for $500.

My home defense consists of 2 very big Rotties and handguns and shotguns in various locations throughout the house. You get by my babies and you are earning everything you get but my opinion on the Hi Point carbine would be a fine addition for a home defense weapon. Might even go check a couple out in .45acp! But a big game rifle it surely aint!
You got me beat there. I just have a big dumb collie/shepherd mix that'll lick you to death until you find a bag of treats to give him. Maybe Hi-Point has made great leaps and bounds in the quality control department, but I still don't think I'd bet my life on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.