Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anybody shot this? >

Has anybody shot this?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anybody shot this?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Spike

Default Has anybody shot this?

I was looking at a Hi Point 40 S&W Carbine 17.5" 10+1 Black Syn Skeleton Skeleton. Has anybody shot one of these? How was the recoil? Would it safely take a deer or black bear?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I have a hi point 9mm carbine that I took on trade for some work I did for a guy. It is a fun little carbine, cheap to shoot and I've had zero trouble with it... That being said... it is a hi point and I wouldn't personally buy one. Just ended up with it by chance. But I do take it out occasionally to plink... I've rolled a couple coyote with it because that's what I had in the truck at the time.. I have mine scoped and it actually holds a decent group at 100 yards.
-Jake
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

A .40 S&W is a handgun cartridge, there is sure no need to worry about recoil unless you weight three lbs. Don't even think about hunting bear or deer with it, it would be irresponsible.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer maybe out to 50 yards with the right load/bullet combination but it wouldn't be a proper choice really. Bear? uhhhh no. The .40 S&W isn't that great of a powerhouse in the handgun cartridges. Even out of a carbine rifle length it just doesn't have a lot of "gusto". While there are a few handgun cartridges that have plenty for deer and a couple for Black Bear, the .40 S&W aint one of them really. It's nowhere near the .357, .41mag, .44mag, 45LC, .454 casull, .460mag, or the Big Dog of them all, the .500 S&Wmag.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

First and foremost - you will NOT get enough penetration for any bear with a .40S&W. It makes me cringe when guys claim they carry their .40S&W's for bear defense. I've killed several coyotes with .40S&W pistols, and relating that penetration and wound tract, there's no way I'd use one for bear except over dogs, and not really even then. Deer aren't that hard to kill, nor that thick, bear are thicker than we give them credit.

A fetish for pistol carbines, especially cheap ones, is a dirty little secret of mine. I no longer have a Hi-Point, and I would not spend money on one today, but if you have no expectations for it, it will be a fun carbine for you.

In terms of killing deer - I bought my first 9mm Hi-Point in 2000 on a "bet" with a buddy that a 9mm would kill a deer with one shot. Since pistols were not legal for deer, but pistol carbines were, I won the bet with a cheap Hi-point carbine. I doubled down a few years later where a screw up in a law re-write saw one or two years where any centerfire pistol was legal for deer, and I took one with my Glock 19. I've taken a few deer with 9mm carbines over the last 15yrs, and for close cover coyote hunting, it's actually really hard to beat a 9mm carbine (except with a shotgun).

The .40S&W has more punch than the 9mm, so even though the largest thing I've killed with a 40 has been a coyote (in a pistol), I have no doubt it will do well enough on deer also.

That said - the hi-points are low quality. There are far better carbines out there to be had, at reasonable prices. The Kel-Tec Sub2000 is a surprisingly good value, especially for a "takedown" folding carbine. I have yet to handle a Taurus Carbine, and the Beretta is rather over priced, but it's a very fine pistol carbine.

And I'll expand, because there will undoubtedly be flamers coming after me for saying it - the 9mm carbine is a terrible choice for deer, but if you want an excuse to buy one, and want to chase a wild hare (forgive the wordplay), you can cleanly kill deer with a 40S&W carbine to 30-50yrds. Not a step further. It seems too easy for someone to say "50yrds or less," then find out they took a 70yrd shot...

You really do need to reload to capitalize on the longer barrel though.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-24-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously a typo.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 07-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I thought it was still not legal to use a semi-auto in Pennsylvania. There are possibly some new rules for next year however.
They filed a bill in May 2014 for the use of semi's (6 shot total capacity). Dunno if it passed yet though. So if he was popping yotes already, he was doing it illegally. Silly law but a law none the less. Falls along the same lines as No Sunday hunting. Stupid backwards thinking.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I thought it was still not legal to use a semi-auto in Pennsylvania. There are possibly some new rules for next year however.
Oops & nope it hasn't passed yet! I think Jake misspoke and it was actually in another legal state where he shot those yotes with it!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-25-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

SPECIES ALLOWABLE HUNTING EQUIPMENT
Squirrel, Ruffed Grouse, Cottontail Rabbit, Ring-Necked Pheasant, Chukar, Bobwhite Quail, Fox, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Wesael, Crow, Coyote, Feral Swine (Wild Boar), Groundhog Longbow or bow: This includes compound bows and recurve bows.
Crossbow
Handgun: Any caliber.
Rifle: Any caliber.
Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller.
Airgun
Mourning Dove Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller not capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which limits the capacity of the gun to three shells. The filler must be such that it cannot be removed without disassembling the gun. Doves may be hunted with lead shot.
Longbow or bow: This includes compound bows and recurve bows.

Per Ohio regs. I've only been a PA resident since 2013....Altho I've hunted there since I was 12. These were Ohio Coyotes.
-Jake
Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Missed the regs were from Ohio

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.