Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone hunt with an AR-15? >

Anyone hunt with an AR-15?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone hunt with an AR-15?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Spike

Default Anyone hunt with an AR-15?

Hi, I'm new here and I was curious if the ar 15 rifles are ok for a hunting rifle. I already have one and was considering buying a bow or a rifle but if I decide I'm not that into hunting after I have done it a few times I don't want to have a weapon that is never going to be used again or have to sell it. I know people use them for coyote hunting and I have heard of them for deer and hogs but is it reasonable to use one for a year or two for hunting? Primary targets would be deer and hogs. I just think it's a big hassle for something I'm not sure I'm really going to enjoy.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

You said you tried hunting and aren't into it, why continue to do something you don't want to do? Deer and hogs aren't targets, targets are made of paper or some other material that doesn't breath and can't be wounded. If you already aren't keen on hunting, the gun you use will not make you like it any more than you do now. Very odd explaination of a question.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-28-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that you mention it I have been known to carry one on occasion

RR
Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Spike

@oldtimr, No I have not tried hunting yet but I already have an AR-15. And the definition of a target is a person place or object selected as the aim of an attack, in this case it be a hog or deer instead of a person.

Last edited by classichauler; 05-28-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Now that you mention it I have been known to carry one on occasion

RR
It looks like you have had quite a bit of success with your rifles ridge runner are the AR's your primary rifles or not really? Also what size ammunition do you hunt with?

Last edited by classichauler; 05-28-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

the rifles in those game pics are not your typical AR's, they are chambered in specialty cartridges, one is a 25 wssm, the other is a 458 socum, my 223's/5.56's will suffice for deer with the proper loads but I don't use them much except for varmints and such.
I use my 458 bear hunting with dogs, the 25 for deer hunting if the conditions do not warrant getting my long range rifles out
RR
Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'm with RR on that one. You will have MANY people tell you that the .223 is fine for deer with all this new ammo and such. I'm of the opinion that it's just too light of a round. CAN it kill a deer? Yep, many have been killed with that caliber. But SHOULD you? Really, no. Placement is key to any shooting of live game. But a .22 caliber is just too dang small and perfection is needed with every shot. No-one is perfect. Plus I am kind of gathering that you don't re-load your own ammo and I am not sure on this (RR will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure) but the factory ammo that is out that is minimally acceptable for whitetail may not even feed well in your AR. The Over All Length for the heavier LONGER bullets may be just a touch too long. Been a few years since I bought a box of ammo other than .22 long so I am a little out of touch on that one.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

The AR rifle manufacturers are doing a big advertising campaign promoting ARs as hunting rifles. Off the shelf ARs are available in a number of calibers other than the .223, such as .308 Win.

Some states allow deer hunting with .22 caliber centerfire rifles, others do not.

I enjoy shooting AR rifles, however all of my hunting rifles are bolt action.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Clasichauler, your definition of target is my point "And the definition of a target is a person place or object selected as the aim of an attack, Hunters do not attack the animals we pursue. Hunting is more than just shooting and killing. If it was only about the shooting something we would be better off economicly we would be much better off shooting paper or steel. I have taken lots of birds and animals, I have never considered takeing them an attack and I don't know anyone else who does. I did misread your post where you said you already had an AR 15 thinking you said you already hunted, however considering game animals no more than a target is not a good way to start.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-29-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Spike

Texas allows .22 caliber center fires for deer hunting but that is too small for my taste, yes I have seen it done many times before but I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the results. When I can find a GOOD .308 AR that does not weigh 10lbs I will surly be hunting with one when I go to the bottoms. Hogs get thick down here and multiple shot opportunities are the norm not the exception.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.