Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

This is utter and complete "horsepuckey"!

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of how much lawyers and bs court suits are making American co.s do things they wouldn't otherwise do or what necessarily is the right or fair thing to do? This decision is strictly a financial one based on fears and as a hedge against future (and certainly INCREASING) costs of future legal claims. Todays lawyers and courts just LOVE the publicity they get when they take on ANYTHING gun related, especially one of the "BIGS" like Rem. Rem is owned by a Wall St firm so it's suits and lawyers caving into more suits and lawyers! Nearly 8M units produced and we're talking about a comparatively small handful of supposed "defective accidents"? Again I say, BS! 8M units, over a half a century???

Would be interesting to know if this would've happend had DuPont still owned "big green"? The triggers in my 4 Rem boltguns (from 70s-00s vintage) will NOT be going back ANYWHERE except into my safe until the next time they are brought out for a hunt!

Terrible,

ps
And NO I'm NOT a "Green flag wavin Remophile"! I cuss Rem and the things they've done to their lineup and dealers since DuPont sold them many moons ago. Their baseline guns, across the board, are TERRIBLE today. But I hate to see one of the BIGS being treated like this by those on BOTH sides of this argument. In the end it's always the money, gatdam, stinkin money...

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 12-08-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
This is utter and complete "horsepuckey"!

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of how much lawyers and bs court suits are making American co.s do things they wouldn't otherwise do or what necessarily is the right or fair thing to do? This decision is strictly a financial one based on fears and as a hedge against future (and certainly INCREASING) costs of future legal claims. Todays lawyers and courts just LOVE the publicity they get when they take on ANYTHING gun related, especially one of the "BIGS" like Rem. Rem is owned by a Wall St firm so it's suits and lawyers caving into more suits and lawyers! Nearly 8M units produced and we're talking about a comparatively small handful of supposed "defective accidents"? Again I say, BS! 8M units, over a half a century???

Would be interesting to know if this would've happend had DuPont still owned "big green"? The triggers in my 4 Rem boltguns (from 70s-00s vintage) will NOT be going back ANYWHERE except into my safe until the next time they are brought out for a hunt!

Terrible,

ps
And NO I'm NOT a "Green flag wavin Remophile"! I cuss Rem and the things they've done to their lineup and dealers since DuPont sold them many moons ago. Their baseline guns, across the board, are TERRIBLE today. But I hate to see one of the BIGS being treated like this by those on BOTH sides of this argument. In the end it's always the money, gatdam, stinkin money...
Well, you got one thing right in that post and that is that money is the root of all evil. That is about all though and if you don't do anything about the defect in your rifles then you'll be the one that has to live with it if you're the next one to have one go bang when it's not supposed to! DuPont should have taken care of this problem when it was brought to their attention decades ago and they flubbed it royally right up until they sold out and the new owners have kept right on with the same BS! There have been over two dozen people killed, unknown injuries sustained, and many thousands of rifles that have misfired and by the grace of God did not result in any harm other than some shook up owners. Overall the numbers to you may be small in comparison to the millions of rifles out there, but a defect in one firearm is one too many!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Overall the numbers to you may be small in comparison to the millions of rifles out there, but a defect in one firearm is one too many!
ANYTHING mfgrd for over half a century and with nearly 8M produced, you CAN'T expect a 100% perfectly, flawless safety record... it's IMPOSSIBLE! Sure it's guns and lives but we're still talking about a mfgrd piece of metal and the American public for over 50yrs... I've had some of my 700s for 30yrs, never the first bit of problem. I just can't buy into something being built THAT long and with 8M produced yet somehow from day one we are supposed to believe that there's an inherent design flaw? A design flaw in 8M units shows up MUCH more than even a few thousand over half a century +...

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 12-08-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Well I can say first hand I have seen this rifle discharge on multiple occasions.It is a early 80,s BDL.We stopped usin it cause it was so unsafe.Last year I decided to give Remmy a call to see what if anything they would do.Low and behold they sent me a box and a shippin label and told me they would check it out at if it was a warranty issue and not damage or missuse they would take care of it.I got the rifle back a couple weeks later with a whole new trigger assembly installed completely free of charge.The only money out of my pocket was the gas I burned to the UPS Terminal.I left a note stating that I would like a new rear site since mine was misplaced on the scope install decades ago and that I would pay for it.They not only sent it with the rifle free,they even installed it.I was very satisfied.Glad I decided to give em a call then and not wait.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington tested 5000 walker triggers back in the early 90's when some woman shot her kid and swore that she didn't touch the trigger, Remington could not duplicate it with a clean and properly adjusted trigger.
In the 70's some kid shot his buddy with a rem. 600, the lil short barreled carbines rem.made at the time, he had it loaded in the truck and as he was dragging it out to shoot a deer it went off and killed his friend, of course he never touched the trigger either, rem. tested the triggers then couldn't get one to go off, but recalled the 600's, the 660's and the 600 mohawks and replaced the triggers.
everytime someone has been accidently shot with a Remington 700, there have been cardinal rules of gun safety broken, when are folks gonna accept the responsibilities of gun ownership instead of blaming the manufacturers for their ignorance?
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
ANYTHING mfgrd for over half a century and with nearly 8M produced, you CAN'T expect a 100% perfectly, flawless safety record... it's IMPOSSIBLE! Sure it's guns and lives but we're still talking about a mfgrd piece of metal and the American public for over 50yrs... I've had some of my 700s for 30yrs, never the first bit of problem. I just can't buy into something being built THAT long and with 8M produced yet somehow from day one we are supposed to believe that there's an inherent design flaw? A design flaw in 8M units shows up MUCH more than even a few thousand over half a century +...
You need to look at things more than you obviously have before you make any more baseless statements! Mike Walker, the Remington engineer that designed the trigger, told them it needed to be changed shortly after they went into production in the late 40s and even though it would have only cost 5 1/2 cents per rifle the company documents introduced in court showed they said no. He actually lost his pension a few years ago when he came out publicly in the media and stated that, which violated a court order that he not say anything about the defect. He didn't give a rip, as he was in his late 90s and just died last year at the age of 101. Say anything else you want, but when the inventor of the product itself says it has a tendency to cause misfires and should be fixed he should have been listened to. I was just on another hunting website that I can't name due to site rules here, but one after another of the members there came on a thread discussing this and said it had either happened to them or a friend. The number of misfires are in the many thousands (at least 20,000 or more), so it's not just a minor situation that you seem to want to slough off. The misfire can't be replicated just like RR stated and that's the scary thing with this situation because you never know when it will happen. Thank God most of the thousands of people that have had misfires have had them pointed in a safe direction, but that doesn't relieve Remington from putting out a defective product.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-08-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

well the flaw is as much maintenance and adjustment as anything, you adjust the creep out, then set the sear enguagement to break at 2,5 pounds, that's what everyone wants, so with the safety on the trigger moves a couple thousanths, with the creep adjustment just a bit to tight, and light sear eguagement, and couple thou play with the safety on, then it is unsafe cause you lose sear enguagement through over adjustment, even properly set triggers will misfire from dirt and grime in them, why blame the manufacturer for faulty preventive maintenance, none of my rems have ever missed a click in the many, many thousands of rounds I have sent downrange from 1/2 dozen 700's (all of which have been rebarreled at least once) 7 788's, a 600 and a 660, I don't care who's freinds brothers cousins uncle says, I don't know the history of they're rifles but I know mines.
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well the flaw is as much maintenance and adjustment as anything, you adjust the creep out, then set the sear enguagement to break at 2,5 pounds, that's what everyone wants, so with the safety on the trigger moves a couple thousanths, with the creep adjustment just a bit to tight, and light sear eguagement, and couple thou play with the safety on, then it is unsafe cause you lose sear enguagement through over adjustment, even properly set triggers will misfire from dirt and grime in them, why blame the manufacturer for faulty preventive maintenance, none of my rems have ever missed a click in the many, many thousands of rounds I have sent downrange from 1/2 dozen 700's (all of which have been rebarreled at least once) 7 788's, a 600 and a 660, I don't care who's freinds brothers cousins uncle says, I don't know the history of they're rifles but I know mines.
RR
There are many out there saying the same thing you are, but it is only partially true. We're talking a one-of-a-kind trigger with that free riding "fire control"connector that takes very little to cause it to not fall back into place and it doesn't take tinkering around with the pull weight because it's not part of that mechanism. Mike Walker found out that the connector increased the chance of a misfire over and above a normal trigger shortly after he invented it, told the Remington bosses it needed to be changed, and they wouldn't do it for the minor cost of 5 1/2 cents per rifle! That is all in official court documents that were taken from Remington files. If the inventor says it is prone to misfires and needs changing, why should you or anyone else dispute it and make all kinds of excuses like Remington has done over the years when they keep going off?!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

because if you keep them clean and properly adjusted the fire control connector will fall back into place like it supposed to, the only flaw is folks are too stupid and too lazy to maintain them
RR
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
because if you keep them clean and properly adjusted the fire control connector will fall back into place like it supposed to, the only flaw is folks are too stupid and too lazy to maintain them
RR
I know you know a lot about things involving firearms, but you didn't invent that trigger! You are just like a lot of armchair quarterbacks making statements that you can't prove and are basically saying the inventor is wrong when he told Remington to change it. Yes, what you stated can exacerbate the problem and that's a big deal because 99% of the people out there wouldn't have the slightest idea how to remove and properly clean that trigger assembly. By finally eliminating that trigger like they did in 2006 they eliminated one more thing they have to worry about when Average Joe buys their rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.