Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Started first custom build... >

Started first custom build...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Started first custom build...

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice stick EMT, now make something dead with it.
ya did good.
RR
Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely beautiful rifle, congrats! My lone custom is also a .257, but the standard cartridge. M98 action, Douglas barrel, Timney trigger and good old Weaver 3-9x38 scope on top.
Attached Thumbnails Started first custom build...-mauser-custom-.257-roberts.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful gun EMT ! Curious as to why a muzzle break on a 257 bob?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! This gun was a blast to build...had a few challenges along the way and learned a few lessons...but for my first custom build, very satisfying and wonderfully addictive process. I am already planning my net build, but this one will be for my daughter in .250 Savage I thing....anyway.

RR...I can't wait to make something dead with it...the little time I have had with it to date has been a pleasure on the bench and easy to find loads it likes. So far IMR4895 seems to be the willer with 100g pills.

Why the break...well, long story short my smith has a passion for making custom breaks and that actually accounts for a great deal of his business. A good friend of mine works for him which is why I chose him as the smith to build the gun...(got the friends and family discount too)...anyway he asked about a break and I said nah...then he said, but i'll do it for free....OK, free it was. He also provided me with a threaded cap so the break can be removed if so desired. I gotta say, shooting it with the break is amazing...I think it actually kicks less than my .223 and makes accuracy that much easier. Can't wait for deer season next year!

Thanks again to everyone who helped me through this process by providing feedback and guidance! I appreciate ya'll!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Came out very nice! Be sure to get some hunting pictures up for us next year!
-Jake
Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

emt,
as you get used to the brake you will discover its use will allow you to precisely see through the scope your bullet impacts, yep they are loud....would I do without one... Not a chance.
RR
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah EMT, mighty fine piece of shooting iron I do have to say!!!!! And you will love that MB on it as well. I wish I had done it with my build on my -06 back when I did it in the 80's. Great weapon again and go draw some blood!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
emt,
as you get used to the brake you will discover its use will allow you to precisely see through the scope your bullet impacts, yep they are loud....would I do without one... Not a chance.
RR
Yeah I surmised that there was no down side to having one...I have a couple 308's and 2 of my AR's (in 556) that have breaks and they are all worth having.