Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Started first custom build... >

Started first custom build...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Started first custom build...

Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Started first custom build...

So I have been wanting to build a custom rifle and a few weeks ago my wife gifted me a "build it yourself" custom rifle for our 10 year anniversary!

After a great deal of thought, I settled on building a 257 Roberts AI...always wanted a Bob...always wanted an Ackley in the safe! Best of both worlds.

I started in earnest this week...after several weeks of looking, bidding and losing I finally acquired the action by buying a Remington 700 BDL left handed rifle (lefty...makes it harder!) in 270 today! YAAAAAAAY! I wanted a long action to take full advantage of bring able to shot the heavy bullets...

Tuesday the action will be on its way to the 'smith!

Barrel was ordered today from Midway...it will get a Shilen Match Grade Barrel in #3 contour finished at 25" (debating having it threaded for a brake still)

Trigger...order today as well...Shilen wins again!

I have opted for a AA Grade Claro Walnut Stock from Richards Microfit Gunstocks (yeah I have heard good and bad...I am prepared for what I get).

Glass is still in the decision making stages...I have a 2-10x50 Nikon Monarch new in the box, but again, not sure...

Final finish will be blued...I'll post pics in 5 months (god I hope it doesn't take that long!) when it's done!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!

What will it be used for?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

My wife is afraid this could end up being a new trend!

CO...I plan to use it to whitetail hunt initially...will also take it on Pronghorn hunt in WY next year. Hoping it will like both the 85g and 110g Noslers...

RR...tell me why you don't like Shilen Barrels? I have one on a 7mm Mag that was just a barrel swap and has always performed well.

The smith work is being done by a friend in Salem, Oregon and my father is doing the stock work...he has handmade from scratch a pile of stocks for his rifles so he had offered to do the final finishing and inletting...plus he only lives 30 mins from the smith so proximity helps. And dad works for free

Being this is my first rodeo...any suggestions from those of you that have done this before? RR??
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had a few done. Expect some cost over-runs and don't be too surprised if the projected time is not the finish time. My biggest headaches always included starting with a Mauser action - and ending far in the future with a heavy and costly rifle.

Starting with a 700 action should cut some of the unforeseen problems and make this a happy time. I have had good results with Shilen barrels.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I have had a few done. Expect some cost over-runs and don't be too surprised if the projected time is not the finish time. My biggest headaches always included starting with a Mauser action - and ending far in the future with a heavy and costly rifle.

Starting with a 700 action should cut some of the unforeseen problems and make this a happy time. I have had good results with Shilen barrels.
So did I misunderstand your previous comment about the barrel? Just curious...

Being left handed (do I remember you are a lefty too?) limits my options and I have several Remmy 700's and like the action so it made sense to go that route for my first one...I too expect overruns...haha!!

Question...having difficulty settling on a stock...I really prefer a nice classic wood stock, but having trouble finding a good option that it's way more than I want to spend.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Im excited to see the outcome! I had never even heard of a .257 before and I just happen to read about the caliber in an older hunting magazine. Apparently it is one of the more accurate rounds ever created, it just lost is favoritism with hunters due to the production of more modern calibers.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats buddy !!!

Enjoy making your personal decisions on what you like, and then never look back.

I built my AR like Frankenstein......... enjoyed every minute !

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-26-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
always stuck with the premieum makers because, those makers who make different grades of barrels when the economy is bad will sell you a barrel as select match grade that may be borderline quality, while say lilja may be more expensive when he's done with a barrel its either a barrel or it goes in the scrap bin, no match, select match, or whatever.
if your F-I-L is doing the stockwork check out Richards micro-fit, or wenig for an unfinished stock.
go a bit faster on the twist than you think you need, it won't hurt nothing.
your wife is correct, it will become a trend, if you get a good one factory rifles will no longer cut it, this is a fact, haven't bought a factory rifle for years except to get a donor action.
need anything else gimme a holler.
RR
Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it! Richards is what I am looking at...my father is a woodworker by trade as was his father, and he's done a few stocks so I am confident he'll get the job done! I have heard good and bad about Richards but most the bad I have seen is people that were expecting finished stocks...which I am not.

Thanks for the advice on the barrel...we'll see how it goes. My smith really likes the Shilen's...worse case scenario is I have to replace a barrel at some point (I am sure even a boarderline barrel can out-shoot me!). I am going with a 1:10 as I wasn't able to get ahold a 1:9 (we'll see if it holds up to my expectations)...that being I haven't ordered the barrel yet, so I have time still to change my mind so I will certainly look at the Lilja...which I have also heard a lot of good things about!

Thanks!!! I am super excited...the wait is gonna kill me!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

If the barrel hasn't been ordered, I'd hold out for 1:9. I own a Bob in Ruger 77, can't get the 117s or 120s to shoot worth a damn.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
contact chris at Pac-Nor, he makes good barrels at about the price of Shilens and probably has the twist you need. unless ya spring for a lilja, kreiger, broughton, hart, or brux.
RR
Thanks, we'll do! I am familiar with Pac-Nor as I one on one of my AR's and love it! I fired off an e-mail to Chris...we'll see if he can help me in a timely manner!

Last edited by emtrescue6; 05-27-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.