Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid? >

Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winchester Model 70 - Any years to avoid?

I'm looking to pick up a .243 rifle for my son's first gun. He's only 3 so I'll have a chance to make sure it works before I give it to him. Interested in the Model 70 line and will most likely purchase used.

Looking at the Winchester history, it seems that the company has had a few ups and downs and the Model 70 has gone through quite a few changes through the years. I get that the pre '64 guns are coveted for the crf feature, and that some subsequent models have re-introduced this. My question is this: Is there any years/serial numbers that should be avoided when looking at the Model 70?

The intended use would be mainly for whitetail (maybe a coyote or two) and I prefer wood stocks. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once owned a Model 70- manufactured in 1976. My ex-wife gave it to me for a b day gift. I'm glad they are both gone...the gun and the wife.

It was poorly made, loose fitting, crappy piece of wood for a stock and never much for accuracy. Kinda like her..........
Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having a senior moment here, but I read that someone had re-introduced a rifle that is essentially a model 70.
I do remember that the writer liked the quality. But I cannot remember the manufacturer... DOOOH! Sorry. Maybe someone else can help me out here.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Found it! Here's the link, http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...odel-70-reborn
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

anything after 1964
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Even the CRF models of the last 15 years seem to be finicky with ammo/quality/fit. I have seen good ones and bad ones.

I know I had experience with the coyote model. And I can say out of the box, you might as well ship to a smith to have the full treatment done. Lugs lapped, crown cut, head space checked and possibly reset, glass bedded, trigger adjusted. Then after all that, it was a good gun.

But I will say this, even though out of box it may not be great, you still have a great foundation for a rifle.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ones I saw that came out of New Haven in the last couple of years right before the shutdown.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hubby11
I get that the pre '64 guns are coveted for the crf feature, and that some subsequent models have re-introduced this.
Steve, The pre 64 is prefered because of the "Claw" Extractor. The CRF proceeded that. There is nothing wrong with either quite honestly. I am a Winchester guy, well at least was a Winchester guy, I once bought a Remington and never really looked back unless it was an older Winchester or one I just had to have. I bought my son a Remington Mountain rifle for his first birthday in a 25-06, I know it will still be a while untill he can handle it but I like that gun and Caliber. Winchester had a few years that when you ordered one it was kind of a crap shoot whether you were going to end up with a nice piece of wood or something that looked like it came off the dollar discount rack. Remington seems to have consitanly better figured wood. I would have no desire to own a so called "Winchester" that is currently being manufactured. All that being said I still have a soft spot for many winchester rifles, just not the new ones. I believe anything yo get him he will look back after you are long gone and be happy to say my dad bought me that rifle when I was 3 years old, no matter what you get him.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

The years right after '64 were BAD, cheapo guns. Junk. Then gradually over the years they've gotten better and better until NOW they are (IMHO) better then the original pre-64's. These are the ones made in South Carolina and owned by the company that owns Browning. They are making some of the best made rifles out there right now.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the comments. Reading these replies, I am more than a little bit leery of buying a Model 70 from Gunbroker, sight unseen, unless the description is real specific regarding age and model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.