Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Caliber for women >

Caliber for women

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for women

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caliber for women

I know there are women that can probably shoot their butt off on any caliber. But I am looking for a good caliber for my wife she hasn't shot any pistols before and I am looking for a good introductory caliber and pistol for concealed carry.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
380 acp
RR
I was going to look at that and the Walther P22
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
380 acp
RR
..............and why not.

shoots soft yet still delivers a good amount of energy.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some women may require large caliber guns.........
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd 2nd the vote on the .380, but really the 9mm is only a small step-up. Really depends on your wife's ability and proclivity to want to shoot. But, I also want to do a shout-out for the 9mm Makarov round.

The Makarov round is pretty close to the .380, just a hair bigger in diameter and a mere millemeter longer It's called a 9X18, and it's actual diameter is about
.363, as opposed to the .355 of the 9mm Luger and/or the .380 Bullet weights for the Makarov round are commonly found in 93, 95 and sometimes 100 grain pills, though Buffalo bullets does make some loaded ammo in a 115 grain ball ... pretty heavy for the Makarov. The ammo is pretty affordable, especially compared to .380 stuff, and not as hard to find as many think. Also, not being a 9mm or a .380 it doesn't sell out immediately. BUT, it is not a Wal-Mart round either.

There is a CZ-82 that has been available (used) on the net for the past year or so and it's becoming tougher since December. It has been affordable. You can buy one through your FFL, and with taxes, shipping, and your FFL transfer fee it will come out at just about $300.00 out the door. The CZ-82 is a 12+1 set-up in a very comfortable gun. If you wife's hands are small it might be a deal-breaker cuz the CZ-82 is a double stack ... but not overly big. My daughter-in-law is an average sized gal and she shoots my son's CZ-82 very well.

Try Widener's site to see if they stil have them in stock or back-order-able. You might find it on some other sites as well.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 02-26-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife either carries a .380 or a 9mm, but she was not a very good shot until she got hold of a .22 pistol and learned how to shoot. A few hundred rounds of .22 have made a world of difference.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife really took to my Ruger MkIII the first time out. She actually shot really well with it, with minimal coaching an no experience. However, I would not suggest using it for concealed carry by any means. I know people that carry a .22 for concealed carry, and it is better than nothing. However, I think if she is going to be serious about using it for CCW a .380 auto is a much better choice.

I would suggest taking her to a range that has guns for rent, and starting her out on a .22 for one shooting session. Next time rent a .380 auto and have her try that. The .380 in a pistol that fits her hands well should be very manageable.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a fan of the Ruger MK lll myself, it will take a 1400 lb steer right to it's knees, but.......... that's hitting it in the brain. I have Ruger 22/45 22lr and would not be afraid to use that for self defense but....... you have to be in check and shoot to make them count. Pro side of that if you are in check you can place them shots as fast as lighting. Being on the lightside it may not be that great for someone under the influence of some drug.

I think if your using a 380 acp why not bump it to a 9mm it's got more thump and recoil and noise is not a lot different than a 9mm. 380's come in more pocket sized features though I will give it that. And maybe more fitting for a woman's hand.

I'm still pro revolver for inexperienced shooters. S&W 38 Spl. Ladysmith is not a bad self defense tool for women and men. It's pocket sized and as simplistic as it gets. Just point and pull the trigger mama. If you need more than six to back someone off or take them down your in trouble. Reloading is the downfall for using a revolver for self defense.

I love my Kimber 45acp, Mama is getting one in a compact model and lots of training. Her biggest complaint is remembering the functions but range time might cure that.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

My wife started on a Kahr 9mm (CW9) as her carry conceal of choice. She also spends a lot of trigger time on her Walther P-22 and is starting to shoot a Kahr CW40 (.40 S&W) now...

My wife had never shot a handgun before (let alone a rifle) when she decided she wanted to start shooting and get her CCW.

First and foremost is finding a gun that fits her hands, if it isn't comfortable in her hands and doesn't fit well it will not be comfortable to shoot and she won't shoot it. Fit in hand and trigger pull is very important. So spend some time having her fondle a ton of options and narrow it down to the ones that feel good in her hands and fit her. We spent hours one day at a gun show where my wife handles probably 60 or more different handguns before narrowing it down to 3 that fit her...but the Kahr was far and above her top choice (and it's American made!). My wife has small hands and barely weighs 100 pounds and has little fingers...so reach to the trigger and pull were important, she really loved the trigger on the Kahr. That being said, she also really loves her P-22 and loves how it handles.

As someone else noted, don't ignore the wheel guns (my wife also has a lady smith in 38 that she likes to shoot...but she does carry the Kahr CW9)...and RR also points out a good option of the .380...I can say my wife and daughter (who is 8) both love to shoot my PPK in 380....bottom line, find a gun that fits her...go from there!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, forgot about the .38 special. A compact wheelgun that fits your wives hands is an excellent choice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.