HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber for women
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
8mm/06
Nontypical Buck

I'd 2nd the vote on the .380, but really the 9mm is only a small step-up. Really depends on your wife's ability and proclivity to want to shoot. But, I also want to do a shout-out for the 9mm Makarov round.

The Makarov round is pretty close to the .380, just a hair bigger in diameter and a mere millemeter longer It's called a 9X18, and it's actual diameter is about
.363, as opposed to the .355 of the 9mm Luger and/or the .380 Bullet weights for the Makarov round are commonly found in 93, 95 and sometimes 100 grain pills, though Buffalo bullets does make some loaded ammo in a 115 grain ball ... pretty heavy for the Makarov. The ammo is pretty affordable, especially compared to .380 stuff, and not as hard to find as many think. Also, not being a 9mm or a .380 it doesn't sell out immediately. BUT, it is not a Wal-Mart round either.

There is a CZ-82 that has been available (used) on the net for the past year or so and it's becoming tougher since December. It has been affordable. You can buy one through your FFL, and with taxes, shipping, and your FFL transfer fee it will come out at just about $300.00 out the door. The CZ-82 is a 12+1 set-up in a very comfortable gun. If you wife's hands are small it might be a deal-breaker cuz the CZ-82 is a double stack ... but not overly big. My daughter-in-law is an average sized gal and she shoots my son's CZ-82 very well.

Try Widener's site to see if they stil have them in stock or back-order-able. You might find it on some other sites as well.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 02-26-2013 at 05:10 PM.