Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Caliber for women >

Caliber for women

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber for women

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting, your average .22wmr will suit fine, for defense against enraged hormonal women, a 12ga with buckshot and a sidearm in .45acp or larger may be a better choice!

All kidding aside, not many women that I have instructed have had issues with .38spcl's. A Walter ppk/s or bersa thunder in .380auto is a good choice as well, about avoid pocket pistols, as the recoil and trigger pull on these tends to be pretty severe. The Ruger Sp-101 makes a fine sidearm for a woman, nice small neck and grip for easier handling with small hands, light weight and low recoil with .38's make it a pleasure to shoot as well. My wife just started shooting a .44mag super red hawk this winter... But that's a little different story.

Oddly, I have had a few (a half dozen or so) women in my classes over the years comment that my old Ruger p-97 .45acp is very nice for them, as the extra weight and the balance of this pistol, coupled with the slow rolling recoil of the .45 seems much more agreeable than that of a Glock 17 or 19 9mm. The narrow grip is also fairly easy to manage, even with smaller hands.

Most importantly, a good .22lr is without a doubt the best handgun that anyone can own. When it comes to recoil and affordable practice, the 22lr just can't be beat. Foundation skills and confidence built while shooting a .22lr will convey directly to larger bore handguns, and will help a new handgunner beyond any other investment they might make.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I missed the concealed carry part!

Hiding pistols on women is tricky. Usually they're smaller framed and wear tighter clothing than man, which presents a unique challenge. The most woman friendly pocket pistol that I have seen off of the shelf is the SigSauer P-238. It requires a little more training/practice and discipline than other dao pocket pistols since it has a manual safety, but the action, trigger, handling, and especially the sights are second to none in its class.

Again, I'd put up the recommendation for the Ruger SP-101, but obviously in the short barrel format for cc. It's a little thicker to conceal in summer clothes, but it's a fantastic sidearm. My wife carries one as her primary with a p-238 as her secondary option if the 101 is to big to hide in her selected outfit.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

For introductory caliber, it's hard to go wrong with a 22LR. Very little recoil and inexpensive ammo to practice and just have fun. I don't think I've ever seen anybody who didn't enjoy shooting a 22 and it's a great gun for training.

For the CCW part, you might consider having her shoot a few different calibers (22Mag, 25, 380 and 9mm) to see what caliber she feels comfortable shooting. I've had to train several women in LE and all of them were able to shoot a 40S&W with training. Some preferred the 40 and some preferred a 9mm which has a little less perceived recoil. There's obviously a difference in terminal ballistics between these calibers but she has to be willing to shoot the gun for it to be useful in a CCW incident.

On a side note, it would be a wise idea for her to have at least fired YOUR CCW gun a few times in case you get injured and she needs to use YOUR CCW gun to defend both of you. I hope it never happens but it's always wise to be prepared.

Once you know what caliber, you will probably end up with more than 1 pistol, depending on seasonal clothing (heavier in winter and lighter in summer), what method she's going to carry concealed (in her purse, on the belt, gun bag, etc.). Like most of us, she will probably find that she just prefers one pistol more than the others and uses that one the most. On the plus side, you will get to buy and shoot more guns.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a Ruger SP101 .357?

Can still sling .38 sp through it, and you have the option to step up to the .357 mag.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 9mm would be more than enough. Not hard on the wrist either.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

For first time shooters I always recommend a revolver. A 38spl is a great carry caliber.

But.... All of my friends wives that I show how to shoot love my S&W 22a-1 in 22lr.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide
How about a Ruger SP101 .357?

Can still sling .38 sp through it, and you have the option to step up to the .357 mag.

Great revolver. My daughter-in-law shoots mine VERY WELL with both 38's AND .357's.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I consider the Charter Arms .32 H&R Mag ideal for purse carry. It's easy to shoot and approaches the .38+P in performance.

16 oz. Stainless Steel frame:
http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...ette_73220.asp

12 oz. Aluminum frame:
http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...y_HR_53240.asp

These models are 6 ¼ inches overall length, 4 ¼ “ H, 1 ¼” W, and about 25% smaller than a S&W J frame.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

I learned how to shoot with a .22. But when I got my CPL, my husband bought me a Ladysmith, .357 mag. (Of course it will also shoot .38s.) I'm very small, four foot seven and 73 pounds, but it fits me okay.

Revolvers don't jam and if you get a dud, you just squeeze the trigger again. I'm not going into combat. If I'm attacked, I'm sure the five rounds it carries will be enough. (The key, as I've been taught, is shot placement.)

Concealed carry is not a problem. You just get a purse designed for carry. I can access it just as quickly as any guy could get to his. A girl can carry a purse while wearing a mini-skirt and a tank top.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

kinna thinkin a stick with a bow on it , but i think a 380 will werk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.