Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying my very first rifle!! need advice. >

Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

I have spent DAYS reading all the old posts on the subject so I only have a few remaining questions.

I have made do with a 12GA Mossberg combo for turkey and deer, and I am also a bow hunter. I have never owned anything that could really reach out there, but I love to "stalk" and haven't really thought much about a rifle til last night. Now that I am breathing down the neck of 50 yrs old I may do less stalking and more spotting

It's been a LONG fruitless season and I FINALLY had two does come in last night but they never got closer than 200+ yards. Then a few more joined and then there was a small herd at that same distance. Me with my slugger could only watch as they wandered away

Like most, I am on a budget and with a wife and kids I can't spend a lot.

1. Do you know of any reliable online dealers that sell used guns?

2. Good online dealers for new guns? (Buds guns looked good)

3.I will likely get a Savage or similar (input?), but would LOVE advice on the scoped package vs buying bare rifle and a separate scope!

PS. ... thinking .270 (input?)

I know these questions get old, but you guys are the REAL "experts" because you are out there using this stuff!

I get nowhere talking to the "sellers".

Thank you so much!

Don
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at these;

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/weatherby-vanguard-rifle-vgs270nr4o-winchester-griptonite-stock-stainless-finish-p-121954.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/marlin-bolt-action-rifle-xl7270-winchester-black-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-117249.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ruger-hawkeye-bolt-action-rifle-hmk77rfp-7119-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99578.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/tikka-lite-bolt-action-rifle-jrtb318-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-90826.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remington-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-7267-winchester-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-86358.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/howa-1500-rifle-whogue-stock-hgr62612-winchester-bolt-action-black-synthetic-stock-stainless-steel-finish-p-99595.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/savage-116fcss-weather-warrior-rifle-17799-bolt-action-black-stock-stain-steel-finish-wdbm-p-86703.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/thompson-center-icon-weathershield-rifle-5547-winchester-synthetic-stock-weathershield-finish-p-112298.html

Would recommend to buy scope seperate ~ get lifetime warranty (buy it once) !
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Where do you hunt, what's the land like, and what style of hunting do you prefer? You can't go wrong with a savage in .270. But depending on your style of hunting there may be better options.
-Jake
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are the laws of your state? Are rifles allowed, in the area that you hunt, or even to be used in the state?

What are your preferences, per caliber?
How far is the average shot?
The .270 is a very good caliber, and a reliably accurate one as well.

Second, don't buy online, decide what you want than go buy local, where you can feel the gun, handle the gun.
Decide if the type of gun you want, whether it be semi auto, pump, bolt, lever, single shot, will fit your frame.

All the online research is for naught, if the gun you buy doesn't fit.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I dealt with Bud's recently; no complaints. They're shipping is a little slow if you take advantage of the cheaper "cash price." I also would avoid the gun/scope combos. In addition to the warranty issue, it seems to me that some manufacturers move old inventory by wrapping it up in a package -- not necessarily a bad thing (sometimes the latest-greeatest isn't really that different-sometimes it is though), but something to be aware of so you can make an apples-to-apples comparison on how much you are really saving.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before buying the .270, take a look at the ballistics of the 7mm-08. Excellent performance on deer sized game, and noticeably less recoil. Take a look also at the Marlin Model XS-7 and the Remington 700's.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Think also about a .30-06.

While most people these days prefer a scoped rifle, you can still hunt old school using a rifle with iron sights. Thus, you can get by initially with a rifle that does not have a scope. You should look around for special deals on rifles such as at a grand opening of a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabela's. Several years ago I bought a Remington 700 ADL synthetic stocked .30-06 for $280 at a Bass Pro Shop grand opening. You could check pawn shops, but know what things are worth before you do. I have seen many over priced guns in pawn shops. Ask people you know if they have an old hunting rifle they will sell to you.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

+1

I have had excellent luck with Savages (have a newer Model 10, 11 and 93)...also really like my Tikka. Can't go wrong with a Savage, but in my opinion, make sure you get one with the accu-trigger, you will thank yourself later. .270 is an awesome caliber and is plenty of medicine for just about anything in North American, very accurate, low recoil and reasonably priced and available ammo. .277 is the preferred caliber of the entire group of guys I hunt with in Michigan, although 2 of us do use 270 WSM's.

Go fondle rifles in a gun store to find the one that fits you best before you buy one first and spend a couple hundred on a scope to get good (lifetime warranty) glass (Swift, Nikon, Burris, Redfield, Lupy).

Happy hunting!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Donnie--I agree with the gentleman above, look at the 30-06. It is a great all around caliber. You can use it on everything from varmits to moose and ammo is cheap and available everywhere. I just read an article in a magazine, they tested modern rifles for accuracy. The Marlin X7 won, hands down. I would check that gun out. If you want to look at used guns online, check out gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com. Remember, they all look better in the little computer picture then they do when they get to you. If you can swing it, get a decent Leupold scope. You can find used ones on ebay. I would rather buy a used higher quality Leupold then a new cheap one. I have not heard of Leupold not fixing a legimate problem under warrenty. Having recommend the above, I shoot a Mark X Mauser 3006 with a Bushnell 1.5 to 4.5 scope. I am happy with them, but if I needed to replace them, I would look at the Marlin and a good used Leupold. Good luck!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Back at age 35 I purchased my first rifle larger than .22 cal; I have since sold all centerfires in favor of blackpowder sidelocks, but that is another story.

However, were I to ever change my mind I would lean toward:

1) synthetic stock-because in reality this is a tool to be used

2) .270 cal- had a .30-.06 w/ no complaints but it seemed overkill

3) Benelli R1- finances permitting (it just shouldered so sweet!)

4) purchase 1 higher quality scope vs a few low cost ones...

Last edited by ModernPrimitive; 01-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.