HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 AM
BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Fork Horn

Default Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

I have spent DAYS reading all the old posts on the subject so I only have a few remaining questions.

I have made do with a 12GA Mossberg combo for turkey and deer, and I am also a bow hunter. I have never owned anything that could really reach out there, but I love to "stalk" and haven't really thought much about a rifle til last night. Now that I am breathing down the neck of 50 yrs old I may do less stalking and more spotting

It's been a LONG fruitless season and I FINALLY had two does come in last night but they never got closer than 200+ yards. Then a few more joined and then there was a small herd at that same distance. Me with my slugger could only watch as they wandered away

Like most, I am on a budget and with a wife and kids I can't spend a lot.

1. Do you know of any reliable online dealers that sell used guns?

2. Good online dealers for new guns? (Buds guns looked good)

3.I will likely get a Savage or similar (input?), but would LOVE advice on the scoped package vs buying bare rifle and a separate scope!

PS. ... thinking .270 (input?)

I know these questions get old, but you guys are the REAL "experts" because you are out there using this stuff!

I get nowhere talking to the "sellers".

Thank you so much!

Don