HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

Donnie--I agree with the gentleman above, look at the 30-06. It is a great all around caliber. You can use it on everything from varmits to moose and ammo is cheap and available everywhere. I just read an article in a magazine, they tested modern rifles for accuracy. The Marlin X7 won, hands down. I would check that gun out. If you want to look at used guns online, check out gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com. Remember, they all look better in the little computer picture then they do when they get to you. If you can swing it, get a decent Leupold scope. You can find used ones on ebay. I would rather buy a used higher quality Leupold then a new cheap one. I have not heard of Leupold not fixing a legimate problem under warrenty. Having recommend the above, I shoot a Mark X Mauser 3006 with a Bushnell 1.5 to 4.5 scope. I am happy with them, but if I needed to replace them, I would look at the Marlin and a good used Leupold. Good luck!!!