Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying my very first rifle!! need advice. >

Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying my very first rifle!! need advice.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you SO much for all the input... had a chance to draw down on a doe tonight, but distance and darkness kept me from taking the shot. That said... the savage .270 I was holding felt GREAT! I hope to get to squeeze off a round tomorrow!

I will continue to do my research based on all of your feedback, and will report back.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your advice!!

Don
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

If that's one of your deer you are holding in your avatar, you don't need much advise !

Most modern guns will out shoot the shooter.

Pick the "features" you like the best & then put a great scope on it !
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
If that's one of your deer you are holding in your avatar, you don't need much advise !

Most modern guns will out shoot the shooter.

Pick the "features" you like the best & then put a great scope on it !
LOL... thanks but I have only ever killed game with a shotgun or bow. I don't know squat about rifles
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Remm .30-06. Sighted in at +2.75" at 100yds, hits 3" low at 300yds. So anything I see within the range is point and shoot. No guessing hold over. Good luck with the search and as always Handle the gun in person before purchase, it has to feel right.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by btnovotny
I have a Remm .30-06. Sighted in at +2.75" at 100yds, hits 3" low at 300yds. So anything I see within the range is point and shoot. No guessing hold over. Good luck with the search and as always Handle the gun in person before purchase, it has to feel right.
Great... now one more caliber to consider!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Donnie.....You need to check a Recoil Chart and get an idea of the recoil in the different Caliber Deer Rifles available....if Your shooting a Shotgun guess Your already familiar with recoil?

I have a Remington 30-06 and it has some pretty good recoil,my Browning .243 is great and it light on the recoil....my Savage 7mm-08 Model 111 GCNS Bolt-Action is light on recoil also,shoots good and far and has some great knock-down power.I usually put a Leupold Rifleman 3X9X40mm matte-black scope on my Rifles...runs about $175.00-$225.00 for a very nice clear scope!

Another light recoil Rifle would be the 30-30 Lever Action Rifles and with the Hornady LeveRevolution Ammo You can shot further out with a 30-30 Caliber and have light recoil in it also.
What State are You Hunting in....and what Game Animals are You planning on Hunting,just Deer or others?

With most Rifles on the Market that come with a Scope Package Your better off buying a nicer Scope and rings and bases and have it mounted,bore-sighted and then You can head to the Range and get it sighted in!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do don't jump on something now. Hunting season has got to be ending soon and you're bound to find a good deal. It'll give you time to decide what gun you really want. The nice thing about hunting deer is that they're easy to kill, that's why there's so many good calibers. What other animal can be hunted successfully with everything from a .223 to a .458 mag. Personally I never get any shots over 200 yards and I hate the recoil from a .270 or .30-06. My favorite caliber is the 30-30, I have a Marlin 336SS and a Rossi Rio Grande. I reload my own Leverevolution ammo and it'll reach out to 250 yards with no problem, 300 yards with a little practice. The main thing is that you get a rifle that you like and have confidence in.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.chuckadamsrecoilchart.com I hope this Link works for You Donnie?

Another thing I forgot to mention is Ammo Prices....check and see what Calibers Your thinking about buying and see what kind of price ranges they are?

Any Caliber You buy that is a Magnum,WSM (Winchester Short magnum) Your going to pay a pretty good price per box of 20 shells if You don't reload,and they're will be more felt recoil if it doesn't have a Muzzle Break.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, thanks so much for all the awesome information!

I am in East-Central KS, and pretty much only hunt white tail right now. It would be nice to buy one rifle that I COULD use on everything from hogs - elk.

I agree on waiting, I think I will only get out one more time this season anyhow.

Once again, thank you all for the great information! I'll certainly let you know when I make a solid decision!

Don
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

You cant go wrong with a savage as far as reliability accuracy and price but replace the scope the package deals come with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.