Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
223 for deer? >

223 for deer?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 for deer?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on RR...haven't you heard! Deer over the last decade have become almost un-killable. They require 1000+ ft/lbs of energy and at least a .30 cal Triple Shock! I've heard they are thinking about having bullets bounce off of them beyond 500 yards, no matter the bullet!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
. I have no idea where the 500 ft/lbs of energy on deer came from in RR's posts, but I have always agreed with the old timer experts that felt the stats of 1000 ft/lbs at POI on deer and 1500 ft/lbs on elk and moose is what should be strived for and that is the main reason I frown on anything under a .243 at reasonable yardages be used for deer.

cause kinetic energy doesnt dictate the size of the wound channel, the killing power of a bullet depends entirely on the size of the wound channel and nothing else. the size of the wound channel depends on the size of the bullet its construction and impact velocity and nothing else.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fritz started this thread to make you guys argue and you all fell right into his trap. He is probably laughing his banned a$$ off.

I don't care what bullet you use as long as it is legal. To say someone else is wrong, when they are within the law, is silly.

I have a buddy back in Oklahoma that has used a 22.250 for deer his whole life.

That being said, I personally want a .243 or bigger for deer. That doesn't make a guy using a .223 in the wrong. Only different.

You guys beating your chest acting like the worlds greatest hunters are very entertaining.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 11-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shot a doe this weekend with my new toy, an EOTECH equipped S&W M&P 15 5.56, using DRT 79 gr frangible ammo (sent to me free by the company a couple years back during a prior debate on the same subject). Range was about 50 yards. She was quartering slightly away. Hit her mid chest on her left side, exit was through her right shoulder. Exit wound was approximately 1". For roughly 30 yards, there wasn't a drop of blood, but, after that, it was like a red carpet... I guess it took that long for her chest cavity to fill up. Found her after about another 40-50 yards.

I think the weapon and the bullet performed quite well on her. Though, she traveled a little farther after the shot than any of the deer I've shot with my .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08, or .243. If I was gonna shoot a buck, I'd probably opt for one of my bigger guns, simply based on the fact that they've got more precise optics, but, based on performance on the doe, I have no doubt that the .223 would work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails 223 for deer?-ar15.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know guys that use .22 cf rifles for deer hunting and do fine. I personally prefer .243 or bigger myself, just for the what if scenario that happens from time to time. My goto gun is a .280, and I love it.

I have killed one with a .22-250, she went right down...but again, not my cal of choice. Heck, as posted...been an awful lot of deer killed with a regular .22, and the .223 is a huge step up from that. I even know a guy that shot one with a .17 rimfire (not recommended LOL). That deer went right down with a neckshot. Deer are very fragile with the right shot placement.

Beyond shot placement, I believe bullet performance is the key to success with ANY gun. Much more important than bullet size, at least in my experience. I'm glad to see that better "deer" bullets are being made in the .22 size range now.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Spike

Well done mate. a Couple of months ago I mentioned the hunting with .223 and some off the hunters got a fit. Thank you for profing my point exactly. I respect all hunters opinion, even those with guns to make war with. A .223 does save allot of meat and only good skilled hunters should hunt with smaller calibers. For the rest there is the bigger callibers, so when they hit the buck off target the bullet makes a great amount off damage. Enjoy hunting season , for here in South-Africa we are sweating from the heat
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner

NOSLER® INTRODUCES BONDED PERFORMANCE™ BULLET LINE

Bend, Ore. – November 21, 2012 – Nosler, Inc. the world’s foremost bonded bullet manufacturer is announcing their new Bonded PERFORMANCE™ .224 caliber, 64 grain Bonded Solid Base® bullet. The 64gr Bonded PERFORMANCE™ bullet is designed to maximize the terminal performance of .22 caliber rifle cartridges. While most .22 caliber bullets are designed to be highly frangible, the Bonded Solid Base® is designed for controlled expansion, high weight retention, and deep penetration. The Bonded Solid Base® makes an excellent medium game hunting bullet for states where .22 caliber rifles are legal for hunting as well as personal defense.

The Bonded Solid Base® bullet features a Protected Point design for reliable feeding in both bolt action and semi-automatic rifles. The tapered jacket ensures controlled expansion while the proprietary bonding process prevents fragmentation and guarantees high weight retention. The AccuBond® bonding process welds the copper jacket to the lead core to virtually eliminate the possibility of core-jacket separation. Solid Base® construction supports the mushroom for wide wound channels and deep, straight-line penetration.

The .224, 64gr. Bonded Solid Base® bullet will be available in component form in 100 count packaging, as well as loaded in Nosler’s own Nosler® DEFENSE™ 223 Remington ammunition.
RR
RR, have you tried these bullets yet? I havnt been able to find them anywhere arround here, I bought some more 60gr. Partitions the other day but I am really wanting to give these a shot. I am going to Reno to the SCI Convention this month, maybe Nosler will have some there. I cant wait to see how they shoot in my 223.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Spike

I haven't used a .223 in a while but I know it can take down deer. My first three deer (spikes at 50-100 yards) were all killed with a Savage .223 using Remington 55 grain bullets. Each one dropped at the spot. My brother has killed 4 deer with his .223 (2 doe, an 8 pointer, and a 5 pointer) all at 100 yards.

All it takes is proper shot placement, the right load, and a good shooter.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll throw my my $0.02 in. In my opinion shot placement is more important than which caliber you use. I've seen deer hit with a double lunger from a .223 from 110 yards and it go stiff leg and I've seen about a 140 lb 6 pt be hit to far back with a 7mm magnum at 40 yards and it run 200 yards. If you heartshot or double lung a deer or for that matter spine shot with most any rifle it aint goin far! But personally I won't use less than a 243 but a 223 is legal in Bama and I know a few ppl (youth mainly) that use them and put deer on the ground.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shot placement is obviously very important, but poking a bigger hole through the heart/lung area will also insure a quicker humane kill most of the time with a properly expanding bullet. That's why the majority of states require a caliber bigger than the .223.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.