Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
223 for deer? >

223 for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 for deer?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why in the world did Fritz get banned??? I saw nothing on this set of posts that should get him banned...He just showed that a .223 is capable of killing deer when used with the proper bullet and put in the right place...

Some of us have know this for years...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

223 is a cannon
took this doe with a 22 hornet at 35 yds behind the shoulder she dropped right there and pushed with her hind legs maybe 20 yds.
looks like i hit her with a 7 mag

and heres what you can do with a little more precision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTBV...2&feature=plcp
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can take your .223 cannon and 22 Hornet on deer all you want, but why use a small cartridge on a big animal when you have so many other better choices?!!! Just so you and Fritz can say you did it is about all I can come up with. I have rifles in 22LR, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet and then on up into a .243, 25-06, and 3 30-06s. The .243 is as small as I will go on deer size game and it's not due to lack of "precision" as you stated in your post referring to using the 22 Hornet on that Texas buck!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer arent that hard to kill, 32 kills with a hornet never wounded a single one. here in texas our deer usually have their head buried in a pile of corn, no need for cannons
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
There are some things here that amaze me. People who think a 223 is a great deer round, but fail to understand the difference between how an arrow kills game, and how a high velocity cartridge kills game. .
sounds like you need to learn.
arrow, knife or bullet, kill the exact same way, destruction to vital tissue. a boolit to the gut is no more lethal than a knife or an arrow to the gut i dont care if that boolits diameter is .25 or .30

boolits do tend to do more damage in the lung area than arrows because of hydraulic pressure, not hydrostatic shock, thats an oxymoron.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I just thought others might be interested in this account. A local Eskimo hunter in Wales AK took a ten foot Polar Bear with a 22LR rimfire with one shot behind the ear at 20 feet. Killed it instantly. There is no doubt as to the credibility of this story. I know the guy and he is for real. This is the largest animal I have ever heard of being taken with a rimfire. I think the 22 is the most underrated killer in the world.
" Jerry Long Range Hunting On Line

I guess now you can feel confident in using a .22lr, huh ?!?!

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

If you have never taken a 223 loaded with a premium bullet designed by the manufactuer for deer then you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said before...contact Barnes, Sierra, Nosler and ask them what there bullets are designed for....now that is just the the various grained Barnes X, Sierra 65 gr Gameking, and the Nosler 60 gr Partition. Keep using your magnums that are just blowing a hole straight thru the deer and keep telling yourself you need it to kill a whitetail deer. And if your magnum, 270, 30 snot 6 is going off like a grenade inside of the deer you need to find a different bullet because what if you have to shoot a deer length ways??? Are you confident your bullet is still going to pass all the way through? All of my deer rifles do it including my 223. All of which on broadside shots are not that impressive....tiny hole in....quarter/fifty cent piece exit anything more is bullet failure. I can take any of my deer rifles and shoot him in rear splitting the hind quarters and my bullets will exit the chest...... 223 included... Back to the point....all the people knocking the 223 have never tried it....plain and simple.....keep to your big guns apperently you need em...........

Last edited by shooter50; 11-29-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shooter50
If you have never taken a 223 loaded with a premium bullet designed by the manufactuer for deer then you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said before...contact Barnes, Sierra, Nosler and ask them what there bullets are designed for....now that is just the the various grained Barnes X, Sierra 65 gr Gameking, and the Nosler 60 gr Partition. Keep using your magnums that are just blowing a hole straight thru the deer and keep telling yourself you need it to kill a whitetail deer. And if your magnum, 270, 30 snot 6 is going off like a grenade inside of the deer you need to find a different bullet because what if you have to shoot a deer length ways??? Are you confident your bullet is still going to pass all the way through? All of my deer rifles do it including my 223. All of which on broadside shots are not that impressive....tiny hole in....quarter/fifty cent piece exit anything more is bullet failure. I can take any of my deer rifles and shoot him in rear splitting the hind quarters and my bullets will exit the chest...... 223 included... Back to the point....all the people knocking the 223 have never tried it....plain and simple.....keep to your big guns apperently you need em...........
obviously so, and probably never will. mind set.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ALL of the previous posts are why the popcorn comes out when ever some one begins another thread about using the .223 for deer hunting.

Too many people with differing opinions, and they're all correct, regardless of any other facts or opinions.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
sounds like you need to learn.
arrow, knife or bullet, kill the exact same way, destruction to vital tissue. a boolit to the gut is no more lethal than a knife or an arrow to the gut i dont care if that boolits diameter is .25 or .30

boolits do tend to do more damage in the lung area than arrows because of hydraulic pressure, not hydrostatic shock, thats an oxymoron.
An arrow and bullet do kill differently. Specifically an arrow(actually the broadhead) cuts tissue, veins, and arteries causing massive amounts of bleeding. The cleaner the cut the better off you are.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-29-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.