Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I have a problem with my Browning >

I have a problem with my Browning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I have a problem with my Browning

Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's really only a couple of reasons this would happen. First is what I talked about in my first post. The bolt locking pin is getting stuck some how and you working the bolt back and forth gets it to retract enough for the bolt to finally move. Check to make sure that this pin is moving freely. There is small roll pin that holds it in place. Check to make sure that it hasn't worked loose over time and isn't binding.

Second is that you have a very dirty, rusted, pitted chamber but you say that you clean this rifle after every hunt so I doubt the chamber is screwed up.

Third is that your ammo is way over pressure but you would easily see signs of this on your brass.

I guess it is possible, though not very likely at all, that your firing pin is broken and is allowing the bolt head key pin to move slightly off center and bind up the bolt.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
There's really only a couple of reasons this would happen. First is what I talked about in my first post. The bolt locking pin is getting stuck some how and you working the bolt back and forth gets it to retract enough for the bolt to finally move. Check to make sure that this pin is moving freely. There is small roll pin that holds it in place. Check to make sure that it hasn't worked loose over time and isn't binding.

Second is that you have a very dirty, rusted, pitted chamber but you say that you clean this rifle after every hunt so I doubt the chamber is screwed up.

Third is that your ammo is way over pressure but you would easily see signs of this on your brass.

I guess it is possible, though not very likely at all, that your firing pin is broken and is allowing the bolt head key pin to move slightly off center and bind up the bolt.
Thanks for the knowledgeable advice.
I read your post, removed the stock and checked it.all over, no roll pins are deformed and everything looks 100% and clean. Checked the chamber with a bore light; perfect. Took the bolt apart, hoping for a broken firing pin, not.
....now have to put the bolt back together....I'm never good at that but get it done.

So, you say that maybe I might have a pressure problem? Well I've never been a person to load hot and this gun I don't reload for at all. I bought the gun when Browning was offering the Boss system to any dealer and their employees at 40% off, so I snagged one. Since the Boss system underwent a whole bunch of factory ammunition testing I called them up and asked a tech about some ammo choices and where to set the Boss with said choices and settled on Federal Premium 180 NP's (with the Boss CR set on 8, btw). Not exactly my choice for whitetails but it shoots so good I don't mind that its a elk load and the whitetails don't mind either! So with all that said, do you think it could be the load? I've never seen land marks on bullets that have been in the chamber. Could it be excessive throw?
After opening up this gun, AGAIN, this is frustrating- this isn't rocket science but it has me baffled! ;p
Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you have the gun apart check to make sure that #62 (top of the trigger) moves freely when you operate the safety. This is the part that lock the bolt closed when the safety is engaged.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Spike

#62 looks like the safety pin. The lock comes up right under the bolt handle...I think. I'm sitting in a blind right now posting on a droid and the gun is at at home. I love technology.

I'm sitting in the sweetest funnel and there are Jr. league bucks all over, buster has got to be out there somewhere. I've never posted a picture here so I dont know if this will work but this little buck almost came into the blind!

shoot, no can do
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by paulie300
yeah, like the remingtons that fire when you take the safety off?

dig it

I own guns from many manufacturers and was hunting with a tc encore tonight, fyi
I have owned a ton of Remingtons and most of the hunters I know use Remingtons, and believe it or not I have never had, nor has any one I know had one go off when the safety has been taken off. All the stories of this happening is caused by some idiot thinking they are qualified enough to adjust the trigger pull on one instead of taking it to someone that actually knows what they are doing.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fritz1
I have owned a ton of Remingtons and most of the hunters I know use Remingtons, and believe it or not I have never had, nor has any one I know had one go off when the safety has been taken off. All the stories of this happening is caused by some idiot thinking they are qualified enough to adjust the trigger pull on one instead of taking it to someone that actually knows what they are doing.
okay, if you say so.

don't Google "remington safety issues" because you might find out that it has nothing to do with anyone... I mean "some idiot", as you so eloquently put it, adjusting triggers, although that would also cause some problems like that. Some manufactures ( like browning ) have trigger adjustments parameters and its impossible to make adjustments beyond, cool huh?
I like remingtons, when I owned my gun store I sold a lot of them, I even own a few. I didn't sell "tons" of them but certainly several hundred during my tenure and never did I have one customer have that safety issue.

I did have one 700 fan come in complaining that his gun wouldn't hit a standard sized target at 25 yards. He didn't have the gun so i borrowed him a boresighting set and showed him how to diy, and I sold him 2 boxes or .270. A couple days later he was back to return the boresighter but it didn't work: the gun still didnt shoot for crap, he said he'll bring it in so I can make sure the scope isn't screwed up and get a second opinion. He brought the gun in and I made sure the gun was unloaded and put an expandable arbor boresighter in the barrel; fits .25 cal through .45 caliber. Everything was working fine so he agreed with me and we took the scope off right down to the bases. Loose bases weren't the problem but he thought taking it apart, re-loctiteing the bases was the answer which I wasn't so sure was the answer. I offered to take it to a range and shoot it myself and even offered the guy a different scope to try, he refused. I put his gun back in his case and as he was headed out the door he said, " I almost forgot!!! I need a couple more boxes of .270!" I asked him to see his gun again. Confused, he opened up case and handed me his gun.

....I handed him back his 30-06 and got ready to explain to him how and why .270 ammo will shoot horribly out of a 30-06.