HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I have a problem with my Browning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/354032-i-have-problem-my-browning.html)

paulie300 11-20-2011 06:02 PM

I have a problem with my Browning

I have a A bolt boss stalker chambered in 300 win mag that has an issue; the problem is that the bolt locks up. Before I hunted with this gun i spent a lot of time on my range and tried out a few scopes, different loads and the gun functioned great, but then out in the field I couldn't get the bolt to work and it was totally locked up. I kept working it and it finally freed up. The gun worked fine for a couple more years then it happened again. Then today I was clearing my gun so I took the magazine out, took the safety off to eject the shell and it wouldnt open but I finally got the gun to open after putting the safety on and off several times.
...so now I'm worried and don't trust this thing at all, furthermore I really don't know of a gunsmith around that I would trust cleaning my firearms much less have them attempt to fix one of my guns.
Should I send it to Browning or is there a smith that you could recommend that I could send it to that has a great reputation?
Better yet, is this something I could fix myself?

btw, I'm new here

bigbulls 11-20-2011 08:59 PM

The A-bolt has a locking pin that locks the bolt closed when the safety is engaged. Sounds to me that this pin may be gummed up or dirty and is not releasing the bolt.

Clean the rifle very well including the trigger and all related parts.

Sheridan 11-21-2011 11:05 AM

"Clean the rifle very well including the trigger and all related parts." BB

+1
Always the best place to start !

paulie300 11-23-2011 07:19 PM

The gun has always been cleaned after every hunt and completely stripped down after every season and looked at by a "gunsmith".
I guess I was hoping for a answer other than it being a cleaning issue but thanks anyways.
I did strip the gun again but since I'm in the middle of firearm deer season and it not the greatest time to be testing a gun so I've bee carrying my Encore.

Sheridan 11-23-2011 07:36 PM

Paulie,

What did the gunsmith say ??

paulie300 11-24-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3880574)
Paulie,

What did the gunsmith say ??

That.there is nothing wrong with the gun...pos Japanese gun, etc..

I use to be a firearms dealer and in the area we had a smith that was a muzzleloader builder and then this grumpy old smuck and wasnt good at a anything. Anybody that needed anything done more than drill and tap jobs had had to send guns away. He was so bad I didn't recommend him to anyone.

Sheridan 11-24-2011 11:30 AM

Paulie,

Sounds like you need a new smith !

Send it to Browning or Browning authorized "dealer/gunsmith"...................

fritz1 11-24-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by paulie300 (Post 3880775)
That.there is nothing wrong with the gun...pos Japanese gun, etc.

LMAO!!! I would say the same! Buy American!!!

paulie300 11-24-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by fritz1 (Post 3880819)
LMAO!!! I would say the same! Buy American!!!

yeah, like the remingtons that fire when you take the safety off?

dig it

I own guns from many manufacturers and was hunting with a tc encore tonight, fyi

paulie300 11-24-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3880817)
Paulie,

Sounds like you need a new smith !

Send it to Browning or Browning authorized "dealer/gunsmith"...................

for sure. I'll be sending it to someone