HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I have a problem with my Browning
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM
paulie300
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
There's really only a couple of reasons this would happen. First is what I talked about in my first post. The bolt locking pin is getting stuck some how and you working the bolt back and forth gets it to retract enough for the bolt to finally move. Check to make sure that this pin is moving freely. There is small roll pin that holds it in place. Check to make sure that it hasn't worked loose over time and isn't binding.

Second is that you have a very dirty, rusted, pitted chamber but you say that you clean this rifle after every hunt so I doubt the chamber is screwed up.

Third is that your ammo is way over pressure but you would easily see signs of this on your brass.

I guess it is possible, though not very likely at all, that your firing pin is broken and is allowing the bolt head key pin to move slightly off center and bind up the bolt.
Thanks for the knowledgeable advice.
I read your post, removed the stock and checked it.all over, no roll pins are deformed and everything looks 100% and clean. Checked the chamber with a bore light; perfect. Took the bolt apart, hoping for a broken firing pin, not.
....now have to put the bolt back together....I'm never good at that but get it done.

So, you say that maybe I might have a pressure problem? Well I've never been a person to load hot and this gun I don't reload for at all. I bought the gun when Browning was offering the Boss system to any dealer and their employees at 40% off, so I snagged one. Since the Boss system underwent a whole bunch of factory ammunition testing I called them up and asked a tech about some ammo choices and where to set the Boss with said choices and settled on Federal Premium 180 NP's (with the Boss CR set on 8, btw). Not exactly my choice for whitetails but it shoots so good I don't mind that its a elk load and the whitetails don't mind either! So with all that said, do you think it could be the load? I've never seen land marks on bullets that have been in the chamber. Could it be excessive throw?
After opening up this gun, AGAIN, this is frustrating- this isn't rocket science but it has me baffled! ;p