Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600. >

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I would look at savage or Marlin for a reasonable cost rifle. They are good quality. About $400-$450.. then i would take the rest and get a decent scope. you will then have a rifle that will serve you well. At $600 you won't be able to get a 700, Abolt etc and afford a scope since those generally cost about $650 just for the rifle. I have both savage and Marlin and both are fantastic for the price.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Spike

For $600 I would buy a Savage model 11 or 111 with the accustock in the caliber of your choice. With the $200 scope budget I would get a set of Talley lightweight mounts and a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40mm.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Spike

See if you can find a good deal on Tikka, CZ 550, or Ruger 77. All are nice rifles and come with scope rings which will save you a few dollars to put into a better scope.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Spike

out of all the gun manufacturers i have owned. i like the savage. price and accuracy toppped with a 3-9x40mm redfield scope
Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I got my new Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 for $600 with a $40 rebate.
Attached Thumbnails New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around 0.-dsc00193.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
That's seriously the worst recommendation I've seen in quite a while. You'd be much better off with a Redfield if you had to go with a Leupold. However, you could get much better glass with a Viper that's on clearance. Or heck you could get much better glass from a Vortex Diamondback or Burris FFII for similar prices if you don't like the Vipers. The Vipers are the best bet in that price range though as long as they are on clearance. Another good choice on sale is the Nikon Monarch UCC's for $200. I've got a Leupold VX-I that's a step above a rifleman and the glass is no where close to a Burris FFII or a Vortex Diamondback. The adjustments don't track anywhere close to being accurate, and it doesn't seem like the most durable scope. The only good thing I see about it is Leupolds customer service. The Nikon Monarch and Vortex Viper are even a ton better than a Burris FFII and thanks to being on clearance are in that price range.

Here is a great thread to read on scopes under $200
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html

This doesn't include the Viper or the Monarch as they weren't on sale when this was written.
I guess you've just got bad ones i have 4 of them on different caliber rifles one a 300 Win Mag they're fine scopes.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
I guess you've just got bad ones i have 4 of them on different caliber rifles one a 300 Win Mag they're fine scopes.
Even if they do work and hold up, which quite a few probably will. They still have horrible glass along with 1/2" MOA turrets, which I'm not sure why you'd want. The quality just isn't there on them. You can get way better scopes for less money.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not own a Vortex and have owned several Nikons, they have good optics but for durability they dont have it. Last year I went through two Buckmasters and a Monarch, after riding arround on my four wheeler they literally started falling apart, sent the first Buckmaster back, they sent me a new one, after it did the same I up graded to the Monarch, figuring it would be better, just more expensive junk, after it did the same i got rid of all Nikons and replaced every scope I own with Leupolds, needless to say I havnt had a bit of trouble since, Leupolds are at least four times the scope a Nikon is. And they are American made, very important to me, i try to help are failing economy by buying only American made products.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Even if they do work and hold up, which quite a few probably will. They still have horrible glass along with 1/2" MOA turrets, which I'm not sure why you'd want. The quality just isn't there on them. You can get way better scopes for less money.
Have you ever owned a Leupold? Obviously not! Where do you get that they only have 1/2" moa adjustment. Do you know that there is more Leupold scopes used by our millitary snipers than any all other scope manufactors out there, including Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Have you ever owned a Leupold? Obviously not! Where do you get that they only have 1/2" moa adjustment. Do you know that there is more Leupold scopes used by our millitary snipers than any all other scope manufactors out there, including Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender?
I've owned several Leupolds 2 out of the 3 lower end ones I've had have failed. The two VX-I's both failed to hold zero after time. One of them had to be sent in for repair twice. The only one that didn't have any problems was a Vari X II that I sold without ever mounting it on anything. The guy I sold it to claims it works great. I have another friend that also bought a VX-I and his wouldn't hold zero right out of the box. He got it fixed then traded it off for a .22 rifle. The cheaper Leupolds aren't the most durable scopes out there. The Rifleman is even lower on the line than the VX-I.

As for adjustments. The Rifleman line has 1/2" moa adjustment. Don't believe me look it up. The Rifleman isn't a VX-3. The VX-II and up scopes aren't bad. I'm not crazy about them just because you can get better glass for your money from other companies, but none the less they are good scopes. The VX-I and even more so the Rifleman are not however, and they are no where near the quality of the VX-II and above. How many VX-I's and Rifleman's have you had?

As for not owning Vortex, well that's your loss. They have the durability on their higher end scopes as well as great glass. As for the Nikons, you are probably either telling us some BS, or doing something else wrong if you are going through that many.

You could take a Simmons 8 Point and a Leupold VX-3 and switch the labels around them and most of the guys on this site would swear that the Simmons was the better scope just because it said Leupold on it.

Just to prove that you are full of it, here is a link to the Rifleman on Leupolds website.
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...eman-3-9x40mm/

If you notice it will say 1/2" moa friction adjustments.

Not to mention that Leupold's glass is not made in America. They get their glass from other countries just like most other scope manufacturers.

The military is not using Leupold Rifleman scopes either. Not to mention they use whoever they can get the best deal with, not the best product. Just out of curiosity, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you have any links to statistics to back up your claim that more Leupolds are used by the military than any other brand?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.