HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
13pointjomc
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
That's seriously the worst recommendation I've seen in quite a while. You'd be much better off with a Redfield if you had to go with a Leupold. However, you could get much better glass with a Viper that's on clearance. Or heck you could get much better glass from a Vortex Diamondback or Burris FFII for similar prices if you don't like the Vipers. The Vipers are the best bet in that price range though as long as they are on clearance. Another good choice on sale is the Nikon Monarch UCC's for $200. I've got a Leupold VX-I that's a step above a rifleman and the glass is no where close to a Burris FFII or a Vortex Diamondback. The adjustments don't track anywhere close to being accurate, and it doesn't seem like the most durable scope. The only good thing I see about it is Leupolds customer service. The Nikon Monarch and Vortex Viper are even a ton better than a Burris FFII and thanks to being on clearance are in that price range.

Here is a great thread to read on scopes under $200
http://opticstalk.com/inexpensive-sc...opic21176.html

This doesn't include the Viper or the Monarch as they weren't on sale when this was written.
I guess you've just got bad ones i have 4 of them on different caliber rifles one a 300 Win Mag they're fine scopes.