HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Hunting..Which hunting rifle is top quality for around $600.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Have you ever owned a Leupold? Obviously not! Where do you get that they only have 1/2" moa adjustment. Do you know that there is more Leupold scopes used by our millitary snipers than any all other scope manufactors out there, including Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender?
I've owned several Leupolds 2 out of the 3 lower end ones I've had have failed. The two VX-I's both failed to hold zero after time. One of them had to be sent in for repair twice. The only one that didn't have any problems was a Vari X II that I sold without ever mounting it on anything. The guy I sold it to claims it works great. I have another friend that also bought a VX-I and his wouldn't hold zero right out of the box. He got it fixed then traded it off for a .22 rifle. The cheaper Leupolds aren't the most durable scopes out there. The Rifleman is even lower on the line than the VX-I.

As for adjustments. The Rifleman line has 1/2" moa adjustment. Don't believe me look it up. The Rifleman isn't a VX-3. The VX-II and up scopes aren't bad. I'm not crazy about them just because you can get better glass for your money from other companies, but none the less they are good scopes. The VX-I and even more so the Rifleman are not however, and they are no where near the quality of the VX-II and above. How many VX-I's and Rifleman's have you had?

As for not owning Vortex, well that's your loss. They have the durability on their higher end scopes as well as great glass. As for the Nikons, you are probably either telling us some BS, or doing something else wrong if you are going through that many.

You could take a Simmons 8 Point and a Leupold VX-3 and switch the labels around them and most of the guys on this site would swear that the Simmons was the better scope just because it said Leupold on it.

Just to prove that you are full of it, here is a link to the Rifleman on Leupolds website.
http://leupold.com/hunting-and-shoot...eman-3-9x40mm/

If you notice it will say 1/2" moa friction adjustments.

Not to mention that Leupold's glass is not made in America. They get their glass from other countries just like most other scope manufacturers.

The military is not using Leupold Rifleman scopes either. Not to mention they use whoever they can get the best deal with, not the best product. Just out of curiosity, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you have any links to statistics to back up your claim that more Leupolds are used by the military than any other brand?

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.