Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Taurus "Judge" >

Taurus "Judge"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus "Judge"

Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one that was a gift from a friend. It's been flawless in operation, and shoots great. I like the grip. With birdshot, it's worthless. With 000 Buckshot, it's devastating. I use Winchester (smooth hull) loads. With a good holster it's ok for CCW, but not great. It's rather large and bulky making concealment troublesome. IMO, it's a fun gun or a by-the-bedside piece.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
thanks guys

care to elaborate sniper??????
The Judge is junk. Poor workmanship and quality. The only handgun, that in my 60 years, where the barrel FELL OFF on the third shot. If you want a hand gun for play, the Judge is OK if you don't mind the price. If your life depends on what you carry, the Judge would be my last choice. As of May 15th of this year, we have had 21 Taurus returns to the factory. Not all were this model, but the quality is just not there.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys the Judge fires a 410 shotgun shell and a 45 Colt cartridge. It's not 45 Long Colt.

For those who own Taurus's and are happy with them I'm happy for you. I'll stick with the American made Ruger's and Smith's.You can have my share of the Taurus.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I can't comment on the Judge, never shot one, but years ago, bought the wife a five shot Taurus .38 snubby, so-so craftsmanship, sloppy cylinder, cylinder to barrel gap too wide and yet it shots well, has been 100% reliable and wonder of wonders doesn't spit lead---for some reason, she loves it. I have always had Smith's and only Smith's, but lately a single six and a Redhawk have joined my collection and I'm more than impressed--very well made and reliable guns. My advice would be to get something that's downsized a little [ concealeable ], and chambered in 45 Long Colt or .44 Special--easy recoil and still packs a wallop, and would you believe it, Smith and Ruger both make such a gun!!--------------John
Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Too big and bulky for ccw. For that you'd be better off with a 45.ACP or a 5 shot revolver in 357. Maybe a Ruger sp101
Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Spike

Hillbillyhunter1 - You're going to continue to get good and bad reports here. I think there have been enough negative responces to warrant some further research on your part before you plunk down the cash for a Taurus revolver.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
Guys the Judge fires a 410 shotgun shell and a 45 Colt cartridge. It's not 45 Long Colt.
I have heard and read both terms used, and both are historically correct. It is the same cartridge. I have seen firearms so chambered roll stamped both ways.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

My observation is that the Judge appeals to folks who have minimal experience with actual practical hand gun experience. It isnt built for anything at all other than the testosterone appeal. For CC there are minimally dozens of much better arms in the same or better cartridges, much more compact. Any of them can fire birdshot rounds for snakes. Take your pick of .45 caliber weapons that will be much more compact with the same # of rounds, and much lighter with a longer bbbl. taking the space of the outsized cylinder. It is totally inappropriate for hunting, and simply way too heavy for CCW. Sure, somone may for a day or two in the field, but once they pack a 4"or so bbl single action .357 or whatever, they would never go back If you have owned a S&W, Colt, Ruger, Beretta, etc. and then picked up a Taurus, you will quickly understand the diff. in quality.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My observation is that the Judge appeals to folks who have minimal experience with actual practical hand gun experience
I'll be the first to admit that your description is accurate when it comes to me Dave. I've grown up huntin and fishin all my life but have little experience with handguns. I only own one right now, a ruger mark II .22.

I thank you guys for your advice and have been decidedly talked out of pursuing the judge any further.

Now I'm leaning towards investigating either a springfield or glock subcompact in either .45 acp or .40

I can't really even put my hands on a gun until after April 15. that's why I'm trying to garner some learn-ed opinions now...

thanks again all
Old 03-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
I'll be the first to admit that your description is accurate when it comes to me Dave. I've grown up huntin and fishin all my life but have little experience with handguns. I only own one right now, a ruger mark II .22.

I thank you guys for your advice and have been decidedly talked out of pursuing the judge any further.

Now I'm leaning towards investigating either a springfield or glock subcompact in either .45 acp or .40

I can't really even put my hands on a gun until after April 15. that's why I'm trying to garner some learn-ed opinions now...

thanks again all
Both a Glock 23 and a Springfield XD 40 would serve your purposes well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.