Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Gun, info requested... >

New Gun, info requested...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun, info requested...

Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
you do know the 7mm-08 is just a .308 necked down to accept 7mm bullets right? :shrug:

Yes i do, but with a rifle the won't shot i was going to put it away or get rid of it. then i could find a 308 or another 7mm-08. But like the 308 because i am having a hard time finding ammo for 7mm-08 these days.

The rifle has only been fired under 70 times in its lifetime. Unless it was bad from the factory, it's been taken care of.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

I went to the .308 about 20 years ago for the shorter action/lighter weight, in a Ruger featherweight. It is a great round. I am looking hard at the new Winchester 70 featherweight. I found one at Bass Pro for about 700.00 on sale. It had the best fit and finish of anything up through about 800.00. You might want to look at that. The several I have looked at all had fantastic wood on them and flawless sharp cut checkering.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, that's weird about the Savage 10. They have a reputation for being very accurate rifles most of the time. I think something must be going on with yours. How does the crown look? Does it have any nicks? Run a q tip around it and see if it snags on anything. Also what about looking down the bore? Any issues you can see? Have you tried different brands of ammo? I had a Browning BAR that shot about like that until I found out it really liked Federal Power Shok and Federal Fusion ammo. If I used either of those the groups were pretty decent.

I've only shot one Savage model 10 but it really impressed me. It was one with a synthetic stock and a accu trigger. Didn't have the accu stock though. Now it was in a different caliber than yours as this one was in a .243 winchester. I shot it at 100 yards and it put 3 shot groups that were right around .75". I measured them with a tape measure and it was almost exactly 3/4" of an inch. I measured 2 different groups both were with different ammo but cheap soft point ammo. One was Winchester Power Points one was Federal Power Shok soft point ammo. When I did a 6 shot group I got one flier but I'm pretty sure it was me. The other 5 were inside of an inch and a half. Right under 1.5". So a .75" group for 3 shots and a 1.5" group for 5 shots seems very good to me consider I've never been able to shoot that well with any other rifle. This was also with a cheap Simmons Blazer scope btw. This rifle really impressed me as it just had a great feel and shot great. I've really never shot groups like that consistently at 100 yards with any other gun I've shot.

That combined with the majority of the posts I've read saying they are really accurate makes me think that something is wrong with your gun.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. but what could it be? i will check the crown.. I also picked up some different ammo to try. The bad groups were with the winchester white box XP2 140 grain of the shelf ammo. I am going to try corelokt's once it warms up outside.

the gun has been cleaned well. i ran patches down the barrel until they were coming out clean using breakfree.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't know what it could be. It may be something that just wasn't made exactly right on the gun or it may be something similar. Has it always grouped like this? You said it only has 60 rounds or so through it? Instead of just running breakfree patches down the barrel I'd try a copper solvent when cleaning it. I use Wipe Out patchless bore cleaner personally but there are lots of others out there too.

As for the ammo I'm not really sure. I see you say white box Winchester do you mean the gray box of Winchester Super X ones that usually say either soft points or hollow points? This is usually pretty decent ammo if that's what you mean. If it's some bulk stuff in a white box I'm not sure about it. However, I would try others too. I know with my rifle which is a Browning BAR hated the ballistic tips from Winchester and did exactly what you are describing. It liked the Super X soft points better but not that well. I then tried Remington core lokts and it also didn't group so well. I then tried the Federal Fusions and while the shots aren't always touching I can sometimes get them touching and it seems like I can pretty constantly keep it under a 2" group and usually around a 1.5" group. This is a lot better than shooting all over a 8" target as the ballistic tips were doing. I also found that the Federal Power Shok Soft Points for $14 a box at Walmart also shot well in it. I was surprised that changing to a different brand of ammo could make a difference but it seems to have.

Another big thing is are you waiting for the barrel to cool down between shots? If it's getting hot the groups are going to open up. Make sure you let the barrel cool after a shot or two.

I will say when I shot the 5 shot group at 1.5" I didn't let the barrel cool very much and it still shot that. I did have a 6th shot that was a flier but I think I pulled on that. This is something you have to keep in mind too. I've seen personally how groups can really open up once the barrel gets hot.

Overall, I'm not really sure that there isn't something wrong with your gun so you may want to see about having a quality gunsmith look at it or seeing if Savage will do warranty work on it. It's for sure not normal for that gun to shoot groups like that. However, these tips are something you can try yourself if you want to see if you can get it figured out on your own.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Just the normal XP2 Winchester 7mm-08 softpoint. Stuff they sell at walmart. And yep, i let it cool down. 3 shot groups about 45 seconds in between. The big issue is it is throwing the bullets everywhere. NO consitency at all like to the right or letf. always just all over the place. Ammo is my next shot at fixing. Using Hoppe's #9, break free and gun scrubber.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
I checked the action screws and they where not tight. Not loose, but not tight.. i was able to turn them in tight almost 1 complete revolution. I hope this is the answer. It would save me money!
There you go! If you could turn your action screws 1 full turn, then it was way too loose. You also should find the accutrigger adjustment tool and adjust the trigger weight down to its lowest setting, which should be about 2.5lbs. You have to take the action out of the stock though which is no big deal, when youre done, turn both action screws 1 turn each until they are both evenly snug. Id also ditch the lead sled too, and use a front and rear bag instead. oh and you should wait much longer than 45 seconds for your barrel to cool down after the 2nd shot. just some friendly advice, good luck. BTW does the bolt lift and turn any easier now?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Bolt doesn't lift much easier, but what i noticed is it's more consistent now. Before you had to jerk it up, now its the same resistence all the way thru the lift. It feels different and better. The front action screw was the one that was looser than the back. the back went a 1/2 turn and the front was almost a full turn. Thank YOU for your help. I am looking forward to trying this gun again once it warms up.

i also noticed today that the ammo may have had a problem. NOT sure, but each tip of the bullet (the soft point) was tilted to the right. almost like all the bullets were dropped on the ground. This may affect how they fly but i am surprised neither myself or the range master noticed this. Not sure if this would affect accuracy however.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go get some other ammo try try and see if that makes a difference since you say the tip of it is messed up.