Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Gun, info requested... >

New Gun, info requested...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun, info requested...

Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default New Gun, info requested...

I am looking at buying another rifle. i currently have a 30.06, and a 7mm-08 (that doesn't shoot very well). I am considering a 308. I really want a 30 cal short action. Don't ask me why but the boring 308 just holds a special place with me.

I am considering a Tikka T3 hunter in 308 for about $600. (Wood stock is a must)

Question is, is the Tikka worth that? there are other guns around that price range, for about $75 more (browning) and of course the ruger. I know $600 isn't all that much, but buying another gun isn't something i NEED, just WANT so i want to make sure i am not in this same position next year at this time. any comments or suggestions? Gun or caliber?

Now if only Marlin made the XL-S in a Walnut stock for less i would scoop one up today.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I dont believe tikka makes an actual short action receiver , I think even their short action chamberings are in a long action receiver. I will save my opinon on tikka quality and just say check out the savage american classic or euro classic line , the stock is beautiful!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Savage, 7-08
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure why you would want a 308 already having an '06 but check out the Browning Micro hunters. They are pretty sweet!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
Savage, 7-08

I have the savage model 10 7mm-08 and it won't shoot worth a damn. Tried a number of things and it's just not a good rifle for me. The only thing left is to take it to a gunsmith and have them find out why it won't shoot.

I am kind of concerned with the closed ejection port on the tikka. I am sure it works fine or they wouldn't use it, but it's enclosed on top. Seems like there is more room for failure to eject. Not sure thou...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
I have the savage model 10 7mm-08 and it won't shoot worth a damn. Tried a number of things and it's just not a good rifle for me. The only thing left is to take it to a gunsmith and have them find out why it won't shoot.

I am kind of concerned with the closed ejection port on the tikka. I am sure it works fine or they wouldn't use it, but it's enclosed on top. Seems like there is more room for failure to eject. Not sure thou...
Is you savage 10 a plastic stock? Ive had problems w/ the older inj. molded stocks because they were too flimsy, they would shoot ok if the frontbag was placed very far back but the wood stocks tend to be a little more stable, the american classic 7 mag I had, was very accurate accutrigger is very nice too. Again, a short action chambering doesnt make much sense to me in a long action rifle. How about the CDL model 700 or model 7 in 308?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Spike

All tikka's are the same action length, the stop is different and the mags are different. Ya know I'm not so sure but the 358 ruger that I bought is probably as good as any other non top of the line gun. It groups well, has good fit and finish, I do like the built in scope bases, trigger could be a bit better but except for tikka's it's better than most. The stock could use a palm swell and a bit of a cant but it's american made and that's worth something too. I've had 2 experience's with savage's, neither worth talking about, to be fair the 338 fed ER Shaw barrel I put on the one will group 1 1/8" day in day out, rain, shine (don't know about snow)and once in a great while it will do 3/4" but that's not the norm. I guess I would look hard at a ruger 77
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Is you savage 10 a plastic stock? Ive had problems w/ the older inj. molded stocks because they were too flimsy, they would shoot ok if the frontbag was placed very far back but the wood stocks tend to be a little more stable, the american classic 7 mag I had, was very accurate accutrigger is very nice too. Again, a short action chambering doesnt make much sense to me in a long action rifle. How about the CDL model 700 or model 7 in 308?

the stock is walnut. Shoots 7.5" groups at 100 yards in a very non-consistent fastion. Just all over the place. Tried a different scope, same result. Tried diff ammo, close to the same result. very disappointed so far as i love the 7mm-08 but just don't trust it like i do my 30.06 which i can get groups under 1" at 100yards.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
the stock is walnut. Shoots 7.5" groups at 100 yards in a very non-consistent fastion. Just all over the place. Tried a different scope, same result. Tried diff ammo, close to the same result. very disappointed so far as i love the 7mm-08 but just don't trust it like i do my 30.06 which i can get groups under 1" at 100yards.
Im sure most will agree if you are getting 7" groups, there is something else wrong w/ the set up, than anything haveing to do w/ the manufacturer. Savage are know for excellent accuracy anyway. My savage ml does an 1". Are your action screws tight? do you use a front and rear rest? are you resting the forarm or the barrel on it? what kind of scope mounts are you using? I guarantee it is not the rifle that is causing 7" groups.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Im sure most will agree if you are getting 7" groups, there is something else wrong w/ the set up, than anything haveing to do w/ the manufacturer. Savage are know for excellent accuracy anyway. My savage ml does an 1". Are your action screws tight? do you use a front and rear rest? are you resting the forarm or the barrel on it? what kind of scope mounts are you using? I guarantee it is not the rifle that is causing 7" groups.

These are all great questions.. I sighted it in using a lead sled and then again with sand bags. I never rest the barrel on anything and am using the forearm on the sled or bags. I am using Talley rings (one piece rings) awesome product, but was using the package rings in the past. Results are same with both. Scope is a Pentax pioneer 1.

you bring up a very good point on the action screws. I have no idea what they are.. i like to shoot but don't know how to work on rifles. My action is QUITE TIGHT thou when you cycle it. Tighter than all my other bolt actions. It takes some umph to lift the bolt. Can you tell me where the screws are and how they should be? it could be this... but i need serious help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.