Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Rifle

Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Rifle

I have been thinking about getting a new rifle for a while but want some help. I would like to be able to use it for rabbits, coyotes, prairie dogs, and antelope. I have been looking at a .17 HMR which should work for everything except for antelop. I have also been looking at a .223 wich would work for everything but rabbits. I think I would rather use a gun for antelope over rabbits because I already have a .22.

My dad just traded for a Mini-14 and is thinking about trading for a .17 so I am leaning towards a .223. I stopped in today and looked at a Howa 1500. They seem like a pretty decent gun for the price and from what I have read they are really accurate.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a pretty tall order to fill. I'm not familiar with South Dakota regulations, but I'd verify first that a .223 is legal in SD for speedgoats. It is not legal in WY, the minimum caliber is .243.

That said, any centerfire is unnecessarily powerful for rabbits if you're hunting for the pot (cottontails). You may find the .17 HMR a bit stretched if you're shooting coyotes or prairie dogs at distances much over 100 yards. We've had a .17 along on a couple of trips calling coyotes and the results have been disappointing - a hit dog usually takes a .223 or .22-250 finisher.

For all but antelope, the .223's a great caliber. Ammunition's widely available, as are a number of decent rifles. If you search threads here, the Mini-14's reputation for accuracy isn't great. My personal favorite is the CZ527 Varmint Laminated in .223. Light enough to carry for coyotes, but just as much at home on a bipod over a prairie dog town.

Of course, if you need a goat gun, the .243's plenty adequate with 100 gr bullets and a winner with lighter bullets on varmints, too. If you're selling coyote pelts, be prepared to do sew some hides up.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

The .223 is legal here. I have heard quite a bit about the accuracy of the Mini so I am hoping he will trade for a .17 and I can get another .223. Then I would have the best of both worlds. I do not plan on selling pelts. With you saying the .17 is stretched for longer shots, it makes me lean more towards the .223. Some of our shots are 200+ and we have some that are probably closer to 400. We take those shots not thinking we would hit anything but if we do, we can say "I hit a dog from 400 yards"
Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

The .17 rem and .204 are also great varmint calibers that will reach out there.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SchuLace
The .223 is legal here. I have heard quite a bit about the accuracy of the Mini so I am hoping he will trade for a .17 and I can get another .223. Then I would have the best of both worlds. I do not plan on selling pelts. With you saying the .17 is stretched for longer shots, it makes me lean more towards the .223. Some of our shots are 200+ and we have some that are probably closer to 400. We take those shots not thinking we would hit anything but if we do, we can say "I hit a dog from 400 yards"
That said, 200 yards is easily within the capability of the .223, but it's well beyond where you're likely to have any success with a .17 HMR. The .223 loses its steam pretty fast beyond about 300 yards, but since most of our shots on coyotes fall between 100 and 300 yards, the .223s are generally what we carry.

One of the guys has brought along a .204 Ruger on a couple trips. Don't know if it's the rifle itself or something else (he's otherwise a very proficient shooter), but we haven't hit a coyote yet with it to tell what it can do. It's going to lose its steam faster though than does the .223, so 400 yards might be pushing it.

Back to your question about the Howa 1500. I don't have it, but I do have a Weatherby Vanguard, which is essentially the same rifle. It's proven to be very accurate, though the trigger's a bit stiff. It and the Howas tend to be reasonably priced, and I don't think there's much reason to think it wouldn't shoot as well as a Vanguard, so I don't think I'd hesitate if I found a deal on a Howa.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said, thats a tough order to fill for one rifle...

your talking about rabbits clear upto big game....though antelope dont get huge, they still require a decent sized rifle to take em down...

anything thats going to take an antelope is going to blow a rabbit to pieces....

the 17 rimfires ARE NOT coyote guns...some might say "its just a coyote i just want to get rid of them" i dont agree with that...use a gun that is going to put them down fast and effectively...

the 204 is a varmint caliber and will work on yotes but i wouldnt take an antelope with one...

for yotes and antelope id go 243 or larger...25/06, 7mm-08, etc aughta fill the bill nicely...

the mini14 isnt known for its accuracy...

use your 22 for rabbits...

thats my advice....and i like any excuse i can get to buy more toys! even if that means saving a while till i can buy another toy....
Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mauser06
the 17 rimfires ARE NOT coyote guns...some might say "its just a coyote i just want to get rid of them" i dont agree with that...use a gun that is going to put them down fast and effectively...
I concur with this. The bullets that are used in the 17 rimfires are extremely explosive bullets and that is compounded by their excessive velocities. I don't think they will penetrate far enough into a coyote on a regular basis to facilitate one shot kills. They are excellent on tiny critters like squirrels and rabbits. However if you enjoy eating the meat from the tiny critters, you need to get really good at head shots because they literally explode on impact. I have used both the .17 mach 2 and .17 HMR for squirrels and if you miss a bit and hit them in the body, there is no meat left to eat. It pretty much just splits them in two. I like the .17's a lot but I do not use them on coyotes.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

223 or 22-250 would be the ticket. I've used a mini on rabbits before, and the damage isn't bad at all with FMJs (just in case you see some hopping around when you're yote hunting ). And antelope aren't tough...but having the 22-250 to handle heavier bullets a touch better would be nicer IMO.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

.22-250 or .223, but still I'd opt for a .243 and pay the extra per round to be able to accomplish the range of game you're expecting to take. It's the speed goats where the .243 will excels !
Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't mean I wanted one gun to do it all, because well, where is the fun in just one gun? I just said the different things that I would like to shoot and then see what you guys had to say for a caliber. Do you guys really think the .243 is worth the extra money over the .223? I am kind of set on a Howa. I have read quite a bit on they say they are pretty good guns for the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.