Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Gun, info requested... >

New Gun, info requested...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun, info requested...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are the 2 large screws that hold the action to the stock. 1 is on the trigger guard, the other is just foward the magazine well. they must be tight. sorry if i you already knew the other stuff, i wasnt sure how much shooting knowledge you had, i was just making general suggestions, you sound like your shooting form is correct. good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
they are the 2 large screws that hold the action to the stock. 1 is on the trigger guard, the other is just foward the magazine well. they must be tight. sorry if i you already knew the other stuff, i wasnt sure how much shooting knowledge you had, i was just making general suggestions, you sound like your shooting form is correct. good luck.
No need to apologize, they were great questions. I will have to look at those screws.

my action is quite tight thou so i am assuming they are tight, but will check. I would really like to get this gun shooting well.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
No need to apologize, they were great questions. I will have to look at those screws.

my action is quite tight thou so i am assuming they are tight, but will check. I would really like to get this gun shooting well.
Hmm, you know your action screws may be too tight, at least the rear one. savage action screws tend to run a hair too long for some reason. The bolt on my savage muzzleloader, which is the same action as the model 10, will not lift if the rear action screw is too tight , I bet if you back your rear action screw out a half turn, it would cycle perfect, also make sure your front one is tight also. it should be right in front of the magazine well, if you have a blind magazine (no hinged floorplate or det. mag.) or right under the floorplate hinge. I ground my rear action screw down a couple threads because I like my action screws tight. oh another thing, do you have the accutrigger on your model 10? if so, they come from the factory set at like 6lbs, but they are easily adjusted down to about 2.5 w/ the supplied tool, which im guessing you havent done since you would have to remove the action from the stock. The old triggers were pretty heavy and creepy too. but you can swap that out for a rifle basix trigger and would be a big improvement. Id be interested to hear how you make out , good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Yep, its a blind mag, with accutrigger. i will see if i can back out the back screw ever so slightly. I am guessing that if its too Tight it could cause some accuracy issues.

When sighting in, i even had the range master try it and he couldn't shoot any better than me. He used the sled and has sighted in 1000's of rifles. he suggested scope but we tried that and same result with a diff scope and rings. I think its the action being way too tight.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a led sled too , i bought it to sight in slug guns. for regular rifles I like to use a front rest and rear bag, w/ the butt of the stock pulled tight to my shoulder.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW - .243 Win.

TikKa......................why not ?!?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

I checked the action screws and they where not tight. Not loose, but not tight.. i was able to turn them in tight almost 1 complete revolution. I hope this is the answer. It would save me money!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

you do know the 7mm-08 is just a .308 necked down to accept 7mm bullets right? :shrug:
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Stock bedding?

Perhaps the bedding of the action in the stock is the problem. Hard to imagine a scoped, bolt action rifle shooting 7" groups at 100 yds. though.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did someone hijack this thread ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.