HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
IndyHunter83
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I think if the NRA made this an issue, it might get accomplished, without them I'm not sure any felons will ever be able to once again own a firearm, aside from the instance I suggest of an individual sueing the federal gov't and winning.

Of course the idea of a large organization like the NRA trying to help certain felons get their gun rights back is far from PC, so I doubt they'd ever take on such an issue instead they'll just keep trying to drum up new members. I wonder how many felons would join the NRA if they heard the NRA was on their side? talk about an increase to membership....course I'm sure many NRA members would probably cancel their membership once they heard the NRA was trying to get felons gun rights back.

If you're a felon and can't own a firearm anyway, why would you even bother joining the NRA? ie you could never own a firearm again legally, so what would it matter to you if no one else could either?
Ok, now that I understand what you are saying, could please explain why? I mean I don't think that anyone should ever loose their rights to arms for reasons that aren't just. I belong to the NRA and the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association because of this. But to me there is a certain line that no one should ever cross and in most cases those people who have committed felony crimes are exactly the type of people I wouldn't want having guns because they have crossed that line. Much as in same light I don't agree with someone who is extremely mentally disturbed should possess a firearm. I agree that people can rehabilitate but I'm still warry of this. My worry is also that once you start giving gun rights back to non-violent felony offenders the violent felony offenders will have a legal precidence to get them as well (not that they won't get guns with out them, we all know they will).

Please don't think that I'm trying to offend you or call you out in anyway. I am simply asking you to explain your logic because our logics seem to differ extremely and I like to understand all sides on an issue.