Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug guns?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Spike

Take a look at the Ithaca Deer Slayer III. Heavy barrel and built like a pump rifle. There is a video on their website shooting at 200 yards.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MOX-CT
That is interesting, are you saying you don't test fire your hunting loads before shooting at a deer???
I find it pretty intresting too. Not just the fact that the actual ammo being relied upon to kill the game isn't being checked for POI but that a 1900 fps slug is expected to have the same POI as a 1500 fps slug.

Rifling that does well with 1500 fps and under slugs typically does not do well with the fast stuff.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MOX-CT
That is interesting, are you saying you don't test fire your hunting loads before shooting at a deer???
I did/do final sighting in with the round I hunt with. But just general target shooting/plinking with the slug gun I'm not gonna burn up $16.00 boxes of hunting slugs. I use the $5.00 buckhammers for general B.S. shooting.

Last edited by 2robinhood; 11-17-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt

Rifling that does well with 1500 fps and under slugs typically does not do well with the fast stuff.
So far both of my guns group 1500fps slugs and 1900fps slugs the same. That's after sighting it in between the two different rounds. I guess I should have said in my earlier post that the Buckhammers were for rough/getting it close sighting in.

Actually the two different rounds were only off by max 2 inches @ 50 yards
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

You said you're mainly a bow hunter and have 2 sluggers already. I've been a shot gun hunter all my life. I've got three "slug guns" and would recommend a NEF Ultra Slug or a good ole fashion muzzleloader against any pump, semi auto, or any other make or model of slug gun out there. There simple and effective. And they can straight up bust anything out to around 100 yds. I wouldn't go with any other. I have an 870 and an 1100 and both are good guns but just don't match up to the NEF. 1 more thing, I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but more than likely, unless you have an ultra ultra accurate setup a 200yd shot is going to be out of the question for a slug gun ( or most muzzleloaders) so if that is what you're wanting I suggest a centerfire rifle. But definately check out the NEF guns.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I've looked at the Tar-hunt slug guns, bolt action, 1:28" twist rate on their rifled barrels, but certainly not looking to spend anywhere near that kind of cash, $2500+

The savage slug gun looks pretty similar to the tar-hunt, but I think I read it has a 1:35" twist rate? For a 12ga...1:23" for a 20ga. What are the twist rates for other guns in 20ga, anyone know?

Do you think 20ga slugs are inherently more accurate than 12ga slugs? If I get a new slug gun I plan to get a 20ga.

Not a big fan of cantilever barrels/scope mounts, but if a more accurate slug gun has a canti I wouldn't oppose it necessarily either.

What about semi-autos vs. pump action vs. bolt action slug guns? I would assume a bolt or pump might be more accurate, is this right or don't you think? I've only shot semi autos and wanting accuracy thinking a pump like an 870 or bolt like the savage might be the way to go...

I've always thought 2 3/4" slugs were more accurate, but read somewhere that longer/faster the round the more accurate usually? is this true? Maybe 3" would shoot nicer in my current set ups. Either way I think I want an accurate 20ga slug.[/quote]

Do you have a Shotgun now?.......Check out the Hastings Bull barrel 3.5 20ga Slug Gun.....

I bought a Hastings Rifled barrel w/rifle sights for my BRN A-5 and shoot Win BRI sabots
I also have a Moss 835 Combo & a Moss 500 combo & shoot FED sabots...

Last edited by Rebel Hog; 11-18-2009 at 09:43 AM.