Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug guns?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shooter1966
My TC Encore in a 20ga with Barnes 3 Inch slugs drives nails!
Thats only the second one I've ever heard of that will.

And TC and their distributors and sold slam out of them just about year round too.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Just got done test firing my Browning BPS slug gun tonight.. Shooting the Hornady SST slugs... it shoots very well 2-3" group at 100yds... Killed 6 deer w/ it already. I picked it up off the used rack at Gander Mtn for $250... and it was unfired w/ the cantilever barrel. Slapped on a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 and shoots as good as I can.

I already had a BPS bird gun that I'd slapped on an aftermarket Ithaca cantilever/rifled barrel ($200)... It would jam on certain shells.. Gander's gunsmith had tried to repair it already so they allowed me to return it for $200 store credit... and added $50 to get the BPS slug gun... figuring that the Browning cantilever barrel was $300 by itself.. I figured it was a no brainer... and now I have a dedicated bird & slug gun... for less than the price of the Browning barrel.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by KBacon
Just got done test firing my Browning BPS slug gun tonight.. Shooting the Hornady SST slugs... it shoots very well 2-3" group at 100yds... Killed 6 deer w/ it already. I picked it up off the used rack at Gander Mtn for $250... and it was unfired w/ the cantilever barrel. Slapped on a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32 and shoots as good as I can.

I already had a BPS bird gun that I'd slapped on an aftermarket Ithaca cantilever/rifled barrel ($200)... It would jam on certain shells.. Gander's gunsmith had tried to repair it already so they allowed me to return it for $200 store credit... and added $50 to get the BPS slug gun... figuring that the Browning cantilever barrel was $300 by itself.. I figured it was a no brainer... and now I have a dedicated bird & slug gun... for less than the price of the Browning barrel.

Got cha a good deal there!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Mossberg 935 with 24" cantilever barrel and it shoots great, but I just got a Remington 870 20 gauge with an 18" cantilever barrrel, shoot it just as good and it is 3 lbs. lighter, much shorter, easier to move around fast.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2robinhood
I have a Mossberg 935 with 24" cantilever barrel and it shoots great, but I just got a Remington 870 20 gauge with an 18" cantilever barrrel, shoot it just as good and it is 3 lbs. lighter, much shorter, easier to move around fast.
How good is great for both of those? 5" groups @100yds?
What ammo are you shooting in each?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know what the regs are where you are, but they make these amazing things called muzzleloaders. Here in Allegheny county in PA we are allowed to used slug guns or muzzleloaders in our firearms season.

I will put my $300 muzzleloader up against any slug gun shot for shot...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
How good is great for both of those? 5" groups @100yds?
What ammo are you shooting in each?
@ 50 yards on a rest I can shoot hole next to hole next to hole with both guns.
@ 100 yards on a rest I would say 5" groups are about right.

I use Remingtom buckhammers for general target shooting and sighting in, they group very well.
For hunting I just change loads, it was Remington copper solids, but just switched to the Remington accutips.
So far I like them, smaller sabot, but 1900fps.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2robinhood
@ 50 yards on a rest I can shoot hole next to hole next to hole with both guns.
@ 100 yards on a rest I would say 5" groups are about right.

I use Remingtom buckhammers for general target shooting and sighting in, they group very well.
For hunting I just change loads, it was Remington copper solids, but just switched to the Remington accutips.
So far I like them, smaller sabot, but 1900fps.

That is interesting, are you saying you don't test fire your hunting loads before shooting at a deer???
Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

I took a nice doe at just over 200yds w/ my 12ga BPS slug gun w/ Hornady SST slugs. This shot was from an elevated box blind.. located on a power line that cuts between the woods... The blind allowed me to use the cross bar as a shooting rest. the bullet nicked the heart... she went maybe 15-20yds. Even at that distance.. the bullet broke the far shoulder. Gun was sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds like the box suggests.. and I just put the crosshairs on the top of her back in line w/ the shoulder. Lucky Shot??? Yeah.. but it worked the way it was supposed to.

Very impressed w/ this bullet.. this makes the 9th deer I've taken w/ these slugs.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't pick a slug gun for target shooting. They really aren't all that fun to shoot, unless you just like the idea of sending 2-3$ down range every shot. Adds up quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.