Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 870 20 Guage w/ Fully Rifled Barrel >

Remington 870 20 Guage w/ Fully Rifled Barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 870 20 Guage w/ Fully Rifled Barrel

Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Spike

Default Remington 870 20 Guage w/ Fully Rifled Barrel

I just purchased a Remington 870 in 20 guage with a fully rifled barrel. I chose to top it with a 2x7 Nikon scope. I will be heading to the range on Sunday to sight in the gun and was looking for the best choices on slugs. I know the best way is to buy a variety and go with what shoots best, although I would like to narrow my choices down if possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

hornady sst-s, federal barnes, winchester partition golds.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Definitely try the Lightfield EXP's. I have shot them for years and they are accurate and hard hitting.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know for sure what the rate-of-wist is in your barrel's rifling but I don't think it's a fast twist. So I would stick with slugs in the conventional velocity neighborhood of 1,500 fps maximum. The faster slugs (over 1,500 fps) really need a faster twist in the rifling to get them spinning and stabilized to enjoy the accuracy they like to promise.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bowflex
Definitely try the Lightfield EXP's. I have shot them for years and they are accurate and hard hitting.
Ditto on the Lightfields,
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tca126
I just purchased a Remington 870 in 20 guage with a fully rifled barrel. I chose to top it with a 2x7 Nikon scope. I will be heading to the range on Sunday to sight in the gun and was looking for the best choices on slugs. I know the best way is to buy a variety and go with what shoots best, although I would like to narrow my choices down if possible. Thanks in advance.

I tried the Hastings Laser Accurate Sabots and they are tack drivers in my BRN A-5 with a Hastings Rifle Barrel w/rifle sights...