Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Three questions need answers now dang it. >

Three questions need answers now dang it.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Three questions need answers now dang it.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Three questions need answers now dang it.

Ok question one. I am going to buy a camera tripod to use for shooting. I see no reason to run out and buy a 100 tripod for a gun when i can buy a good camera one for 30 bucks. The issue is what do i set the gun on. WEll heres my thought. I can take a piece of steel at my welding class bend it till it has a inch or two dent in it. Then weld it to a flat peice of steel and bolt it to the part of the tripod that mounts to the camera.
Will that work. Also there is a issue of nice hard steel rubbing or hitting the not so hard camo coating on my soon to have new tc triumph, or my wood stock or my 10/22.
Question 2 is there a rubber liquid i can get to coat the metal rest in so it will have a rubber coating on it. If so where can i buy it at. So should i just go hillbilly and spray glue some foam and camo cloths material on it I like the rubber idea better.
question 3 or 4 or 5 not sure now.
I am thinking about welding a target out of rebar. Basicly taking two peice laying them down for feet the running two up each side one across the top and two foot down. If i was to shoot the rebar is there a chance it could bounce back and hurt me or someone standing around me. Not like i am shooting the rebar just you never know when a shoot will be out of control. The way i shoot it happens more often then you would think
PS if i do not get a answer soon i think i will call our buddy obama and ask him if he can help me with my target shooting
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. If I'm not mistaken, many of the mono-, bi- and tripods sold as shooting accessories have a standard camera mount that the "Y" shaped forearm rest part screws into, so you might be able to buy just the gun rest and put in on the tripod. If not, your idea of welding/bending a piece of steel and screwing that on would work, too.

To cover the metal, you could use moleskin. Bowhunters use the stuff to cover the cutout portion of the riser and arrow rest to prevent noise when they draw the bow. The stuff has a soft, velvet-like, texture on one side and adhesive on the other. Wrap the rest part with moleskin and you shouldn't damage the finish on the gun.

As for the rebar target idea... why not just build a target frame out of wood? There's always a decent chance of a ricochet if the bullet hits metal, particularly angled metal. Would the bullet come back at you? Maybe, but probably not. Would the bullet always land in the proper and safe impact area? Maybe... but maybe not. I don't know about you, but rifle bullets flying in random directions isn't exactly my idea of safe. I've had good luck with wood, and you can also try using PVC plumbling. It can be assembled easily with just glue, and is cheap.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

May work..no way to tell til you try it. I haven't ever used a "tripod". I have bipods that mount to the stock of a rifle and shooting sticks that I carry that I prefer for sitting, standing or kneeling for shooting. The bipods work best off a bench.
Good shooting sticks cost $35-40. Bipods can be had for somewhere between $35 and $100 depending on model and brand. I have a friend who build his bench rifle rest out of a car scissors jack and a soft front bag full of sand. Cost him $20.

Find a piece of closed cell foam rubber and gorilla glue it to the top.

There is always a chance of ricochet bullets when you shoot steel. I made a target much like you described and never had a problem but I kept the bullets on the paper and avoided shooting the steel. Also depends on the style of bullets and chambering of the gun. 22 long rifles are notorious for ricochets and any hardball ammo is bad too. Hollow points and varmint bullets rarely ricochet by design.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

My plan was wood but with moving this loading unloading from the truck i figured rebar would be lighter. I thought about the pvc idea still in my head. Guess with being new to the welding thing and being good at it i just want to weld everything
I will look to see if i can find the Y part. Maybe just call one of the manf and ask if they sale a replace. Tell them i lost. It no need for them to know i ant buying theres. Not like there want a ton of money for it.
Originally Posted by driftrider
I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. If I'm not mistaken, many of the mono-, bi- and tripods sold as shooting accessories have a standard camera mount that the "Y" shaped forearm rest part screws into, so you might be able to buy just the gun rest and put in on the tripod. If not, your idea of welding/bending a piece of steel and screwing that on would work, too.

To cover the metal, you could use moleskin. Bowhunters use the stuff to cover the cutout portion of the riser and arrow rest to prevent noise when they draw the bow. The stuff has a soft, velvet-like, texture on one side and adhesive on the other. Wrap the rest part with moleskin and you shouldn't damage the finish on the gun.

As for the rebar target idea... why not just build a target frame out of wood? There's always a decent chance of a ricochet if the bullet hits metal, particularly angled metal. Would the bullet come back at you? Maybe, but probably not. Would the bullet always land in the proper and safe impact area? Maybe... but maybe not. I don't know about you, but rifle bullets flying in random directions isn't exactly my idea of safe. I've had good luck with wood, and you can also try using PVC plumbling. It can be assembled easily with just glue, and is cheap.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I found a place that sells the v or y yoke for standerd camera tripods. It says to change any camera tripod to a shooting pod. 10 bucks ant much either.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I found a place that sells the v or y yoke for standerd camera tripods. It says to change any camera tripod to a shooting pod. 10 bucks ant much either.
Post a link, please.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

If i did that you guys would all get smart and buy 30 dollar tripods from walmart and buy out the adapter before i can. Lol here it is
http://www.opticsplanet.net/stoney-p...oke-e-102.html
If there ant one left for me i will go crazy.
Post a link, please.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love that pic thats great. Thought the bear not a squrrial at first.
Post a link, please.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

By the time you buy a tripod, the "V", and any other pieces you may need you could just buy one made for a gun and be done with it.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
By the time you buy a tripod, the "V", and any other pieces you may need you could just buy one made for a gun and be done with it.
I don't know about that, bigbulls. Decent camera tripods can be bought for under $30, and the "V" adapter costs $10. Add shipping and you've got a shooting tripod for under $50. The cheapest dedicated shooting tripod starts at about $70 and goes up from there. I think that this discovery is worth looking into, especially since I already have a tripod.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.