HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Three questions need answers now dang it.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

My plan was wood but with moving this loading unloading from the truck i figured rebar would be lighter. I thought about the pvc idea still in my head. Guess with being new to the welding thing and being good at it i just want to weld everything
I will look to see if i can find the Y part. Maybe just call one of the manf and ask if they sale a replace. Tell them i lost. It no need for them to know i ant buying theres. Not like there want a ton of money for it.
Originally Posted by driftrider
I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. If I'm not mistaken, many of the mono-, bi- and tripods sold as shooting accessories have a standard camera mount that the "Y" shaped forearm rest part screws into, so you might be able to buy just the gun rest and put in on the tripod. If not, your idea of welding/bending a piece of steel and screwing that on would work, too.

To cover the metal, you could use moleskin. Bowhunters use the stuff to cover the cutout portion of the riser and arrow rest to prevent noise when they draw the bow. The stuff has a soft, velvet-like, texture on one side and adhesive on the other. Wrap the rest part with moleskin and you shouldn't damage the finish on the gun.

As for the rebar target idea... why not just build a target frame out of wood? There's always a decent chance of a ricochet if the bullet hits metal, particularly angled metal. Would the bullet come back at you? Maybe, but probably not. Would the bullet always land in the proper and safe impact area? Maybe... but maybe not. I don't know about you, but rifle bullets flying in random directions isn't exactly my idea of safe. I've had good luck with wood, and you can also try using PVC plumbling. It can be assembled easily with just glue, and is cheap.

Mike