Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.357 ammo

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .357 ammo

ORIGINAL: jhilde

Uncle Matt---Can't argue with you on the stopping power of a twelve guage. I just feel a handgun is much more concealeable, possibly easier to get to and in a state of extreme adrenalin rush, such as a situation where you are really going to use it, you won't swing it into a door jamb trying to shoot down the hall. Saw a show on tv years ago where they interviewed three different people who shot and killed an intruder in their home or business and the guy that used the shotgun started crying due to flashbacks about the clean up after the authorities left were more than he could handle. All three were completely justified cases of self protection, but the aftermath for the shotgunner was pretty grim. Just a thought--John
WhenI was in medical school I did a rotation on the surgical trauma team at a hospital in a tough area of Philadelphia. I saw a large number of patients with wounds from handguns but never saw one wounded by a shotgun. One reason for this was probably that more shootings occur with handguns than shotguns. The other reason was most likely that people shot by shotgunsrarely go to the ER, they are taken straight to the morgue.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .357 ammo

The .357 is a perfect man killer. I talked to the Hornady reps at the SHOT show about the leverrevolution ammo, and their aim was to create a pointed bullet for lever guns. This ammo has a rubber tip that is soft, other plastic tipped ammo still has a hard tip. What they found during testing is that the rubber tip expands outward when the tip gets squished backward. This stuff will expand throughout a wide range of velocities, and the 30-30 round still expands on deer at 300 yards. When they moved on to other calibers like the .357 they found that it gives reliable performance as a self defence round. Hollow points are great but their one downfall is if the intruder is wearing heavy clothing, the hollow point can actually fill with fabric which thwarts expansion, the rubber tipped ammo blows right through heavy clothing and still expands as intended.